Perple Peaker/Tequalizer Build Report

Started by RickL, April 10, 2005, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickL

I was looking for something simple to do this weekend so I build the Purple Peaker: http://www.tonepad.com/ and the variation called the Tequalizer: http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=28115&highlight=tequalizer and did a little comparison. I built them both using the layout from Tonepad and built the Tequalizer using 470k resistors shunted by switches instead of the indicated pots.

I'm not sure which one I prefer, both are worth building. The Tequalizer has both filters voiced a little lower so the bass sounds a little less like a fixed position wah and the treble isn't quite so ice-picky but the PP bass sounds great on low string single note runs and the treble adds a nice shimmery, if slightly noisy, high end.

I loved the sound of the two together. Using the Tequalizer bass and the treble positions from both I got an almost acoustic sound, in a piezo kind of way, out of my cheap Les Paul copy.  Unfortunately this combo is also pretty noisy. I'll be boxing the two together with four spst stomp switches to choose the filters.

Karmasound

Hey,

I was gonna build the PP and the red ranger.

I have seen the tequlizer before.

All I get are the dreaded red x's for the pics on that thread.

Could you repost them ?

majormono

Actually I have lowered the hi-freq in the Tequalizer to 3.4KHz which is more a mid-freq really... but the highs can be that resonant earpiercing it suits me better that way.
But it ain't too hard to recalculate your "personal" freq, which is always the best way.
The best use I found is for bass-guitar where the lower freq really shines and the hi works as a presence kind of control.

I wish I would finish it once, it's still a bunch of parts and cables... among the other stuff in my personal "Pandora's box" (//www.grol.de/diy/Pandora.jpg) but I guess I'm not the only one.

You can find the schematic, layout and PCB at my little site (//www.grol.de).