Straight volume boost

Started by Ptownkid, April 11, 2005, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptownkid

I want to build a volume boost box that'll take my amp from cleanish to normal.  What i mean is, I want one setting to act like you have the volume turned down on your guitar, and then when i press the switch, it allows the full volume to come thru.

R.G.

Ask and you shall receive.

Actually, you already received. The "Multi-Vol" was published at GEO on June 13, 2000.

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/multivol/multivol.htm

For the limited case of only two selections, you can use a single DPDT stomp switch instead of the 4053 and CMOS selector logic. Just replace the CD4053 section in two of the channels with the stompswitch sections.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ptownkid

Would there be a more beginner freindly version out there.  I've built the beginner project, and I actually have just finished a 4 channel mic pre, but that document ins kinda confusing.

Thanks

seanm

I think you just want a simple boost pedal. i.e. One switch and a volume pot?

If you want a pcb, for a fat boost, try Jack Orman's mini-booster. For a clean boost try his mosfet boost.

For an even simpler boost, I have had good luck with the utility boost. It can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

Khas Evets

If you want a simple build to act like the volume on you guitar, you just put a pot in a box. When the pot is on you'd have some attenuation and when it's bypassed you'd have full volume. You could also add a cap across the pot to retain highs.

bwanasonic

I guess some people like having this on a switch, but I find a volume pedal to be much more versatile. When using a guitar with a single master volume (strat / tele) I often just use that. If you search the archives here, you should find a diagram for a *volume-pot-in-a-box* as you described.

Kerry M

Dragonfly

Quote from: PtownkidI want to build a volume boost box that'll take my amp from cleanish to normal.  What i mean is, I want one setting to act like you have the volume turned down on your guitar, and then when i press the switch, it allows the full volume to come thru.

here you go...easy build....  :)

andy
dragonfly fx

aron

Good job. Couple of points....

I guess I would make the "bright" cap optional since it might alter the tone of his guitar and possibly use a 500K pot instead of 250K only because he might have humbuckers with a 500K volume pot.

Dragonfly

j0shua

absolutely correct....

when i drew it up, i was going for a "should sound good with all guitars" kinda thing...

but theres certainly lots of room for "personalizing" it to your rig :)

andy[/quote]

Hey Andy can i draw in PCB wizard ? ....
and i like to see whit no 3DPT ....  just a DPDT

DPDT is the only Switch i can get here

petemoore

Just run the output of the booster to one volume pot or the other volume pot using a DPDT to get the signal in and out of one pot or the other ?
 Run another DPDT for Bypass, and you have three volume presets,
 1: guitar volume knob > Thru bypass
 2: Booster Volume 1 [this is nice cause you can dial that sound like volume control output/normal booster operation]
 3: Booster Volume 2 [can be set higher/lower than Vol 1
 Between these and the guitar knob you should be able to preset pretty well.
 I've never tried it, don't see why not.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemooreJust run the output of the booster to one volume pot or the other volume pot using a DPDT to get the signal in and out of one pot or the other ?
 Run another DPDT for Bypass, and you have three volume presets,
 1: guitar volume knob > Thru bypass
 2: Booster Volume 1 [this is nice cause you can dial that sound like volume control output/normal booster operation]
 3: Booster Volume 2 [can be set higher/lower than Vol 1
 Between these and the guitar knob you should be able to preset pretty well.
 I've never tried it, don't see why not.

ive been building a cutter/booster combo pedal thats been pretty popular...sparkle boost on one side, clean machine on the other. its great for 1 channel amps, like marshall jmp's....set up your regular rhythm tone, then set up a "clean" tone with the "cut" side, and a boost  with the SB....gives 3 "channels" from a 1 channel amp....

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: j0shua
Hey Andy can i draw in PCB wizard ? ....
and i like to see whit no 3DPT ....  just a DPDT

DPDT is the only Switch i can get here

a DPDT will work fine, though you'll have to use something like millenium bypass to have a LED *AND* keep it true bypass.

how would you draw it in PCB Wizard...theres no PCB ? just a pot, a switch, a LED, jacks, a cap, and a power jack ...

just wondering :)

andy

Ptownkid

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

What is the topmost part on the clean machine?

Dragonfly

Quote from: PtownkidWow, thanks for all the replies guys.

What is the topmost part on the clean machine?

2.1mm jack...shown from the "backside", so its easy to wire ...when you see one, you'll know why showing it t his way makes it easy :)

if you dont need the LED, you can do away with the battery/power jack altogether...but i find the LED to be very useful...

andy

Ptownkid

I'm alittle confused.  What is a power jack exactly?

Dragonfly

Quote from: PtownkidI'm alittle confused.  What is a power jack exactly?

its a receptacle that you plug a power supply into..the one shown on the diagram will work with a standard Boss PSA-120 adaptor.  i just allows you to power the pedal without  the use of a battery.

if you don't need a "on/off" LED, the power jack and battery are unneccessary...

andy

LeeM

hmm i a little confused, how would i make that with just a DPDT and no led? :?

thanks

j0shua

you can put a led on DPDT , just need to use Millenium Bypass :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: LeeMhmm i a little confused, how would i make that with just a DPDT and no led? :?

thanks

you can find BOTH versions in my folder in the Layouts Gallery !

heres a link...

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album20

andy