"Proper" (prefered) use of a booster?

Started by Johnny Guitar, April 11, 2005, 11:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you tend to use your booster?

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 11, 2005, 11:19:05 PM

Johnny Guitar

I was wondering how people here tend to use their boosters and why they use them that way. You also might want to add something about which kind of booster you prefer and why.

When I first got my LPB-1,  :oops: thirty some years ago, I just cranked it (into a solid state amp) as did my other guitar player (who quickly blew up his BF Bandmaster OT). I stopped using it after this.

Since then I've wanted to use a boost for a little nudge for leads and the like. Maybe I'm missing a real important way to use these devices?

John

Marcos - Munky

I like to use a booster to give more gain to my distortion. Now I got a Digitech Metal Master (which have lots of gain), and just use them in the unity volume to color the sound a little.

brett

Hi.  Without a booster, solos would be too clean and thin.  I like a Tubescreamer, a clean pre-amp and overworked output tubes for fat tone from a Fender-style amp.  Or just a booster and a Marshall-style amp.  

So I think it depends a lot on the amp involved.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

bwanasonic

I can honestly say "all of the above"! Especially with the AMZ Mosfet boost. It works really nicely as a unity buffer (esp. for clean sounds), a slight *lift* for solos, and also at more extreme settings. I use a large foot-adjustable knob on mine, and adjust the gain as needed. The other *boosters* I am familiar with are the Fetzer and Sparkle Boosts, as well as the Rangemaster. The Rangemaster is more specific to driving a cranked tube amp, but I have gotten some interesting sounds using it at closer to unity gain into a cleaner amp.  The Fetzer and Sparkle boosts are great and pair well with the the AMZ Mosfet. Make sure to try boosters both before and after distortion pedals. I have always had a mental block against the LPB1 after hearing it abused over the years into things like Acoustic SS heads at ear bleed levels. I get temporary hysterical tinitus just thinking about it... :lol:

Kerry M