Help with Mini-booster

Started by John, April 13, 2005, 01:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I built a mini booster. it sounds good  but seems to be overdriving very easly. More of a input overload. With the boost almost all the way down, if I hit the strings kinda hard it distorts, a little harsh. What could be the problem? Thanks- John

squidsquad

Wish I could help.  I have the opposite problem...mine is too clean!
But I'm running a strat into a twin.  Maybe you have hot humbuckers?

walters

1.) Depends on what pickups your using Low , High impendance
             Active or Passive ?

2.) The output of a Pickup can make a Big difference
             for loading the Input of the circuit

Khas Evets

John - What's your set up? Are you using hot pickups? What type of amp? In my experience, the mini-booster pushes my amp pretty hard around the middle settings, but not at lower settings.

amz-fx

Quote from: JohnI built a mini booster. it sounds good  but seems to be overdriving very easly. More of a input overload. With the boost almost all the way down, if I hit the strings kinda hard it distorts, a little harsh. What could be the problem? Thanks- John
Remove the capacitor in parallel with the source resistor to reduce gain. This will reduce distortion on strong inputs.

regards, Jack

davebungo

Have you checked the DC bias conditions i.e. the voltages as shown in the AMZ article just in case there is a circuit fault or you need to adjust something?

John

Where on the web site are the voltages or can you tell me wha voltages I'm looking for. I am using 2n5457.- John

petemoore

Q1 Drain / Q2 Source connection should be about 1/2 supply voltage.
 I'll have to go back reread 'mod your own mu amp' at geo...but if IRC///
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

John

Supply 8.22v , transistor connection 4.9v . I removed the 10uf. That did hepl my problem. The overall output volume/ presence of the pedal was reduced. I'm still getting distortion. Something is happing in the front end,I'm going to go back and check all my resistor values. Could it be a bad transistor?

petemoore

The bottom trransistors source must be higher Voltage than the gate.
 Looks like the Q1D/Q2S voltage reading is a little high.
 The mini booster does distort a little bit
Convention creates following, following creates convention.