Boss Dimension C

Started by ocelot, April 13, 2005, 03:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocelot

I got one of these @ a market on the weekend paid $5 for it sounds great however I have noticed when switched off it sucks tone badly.

Also found out these are quite rare ?

george

Quote from: ocelotI have noticed when switched off it sucks tone badly.

I assume this is a request for help ....? otherwise I'll take it off your hands for $10 :lol:  hell, I'm such a great guy I'll even pay the postage to Australia! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

have you another Boss pedal to compare, they all have the same bypass circuitry.

If the other pedal also sucks tone, you'll know it's not the pedal that's the problem.

ocelot

I live in Australia so the shipping wouldnt be much !

It was a schematic request which I forgot.

I think typically Boss has a 470K to ground which is not normally enough however I think its something else my research has found these units use dual BBD's hence its sucks alot of power. They sound fantastic especially on button 2 with my Aussie made Kinmans !

Cheers

inverseroom

Man, nice score!  I just got one on eBay for $85 (shoulda never sold my first one) and consider it to be a hell of a deal.

ocelot

Its a nice device I have had a real bit of luck lately with buying pedals at this market.

Cheers

moosapotamus

Quote from: ocelotIt was a schematic request which I forgot.
I posted a nicely retouched scheme in this thread...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=28014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dc2&start=15

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Mark Hammer

Only one thing to say:  Get to know Scott Stites (Diyfreque).

Good score.

DiyFreaque

$5!?!! (assumes fetal position)

Congratulations on an excellent find, BTW  8)

Yes, I love the whole Dimension C thing - so much so that I've spent the last, what, four or five months playing with, modifying and constructing boards for two of them.  One is for me, and one is for my friend, Jeff Pontius.  I did the electronic work, and Jeff worked out the rack mount details.  Jeff designed a Schaeffer panel and at this very moment is performing final assembly on the second of the two.  He emailed me yesterday to let me know the first one is assembled and working 100%!  Before long there will be a happy ending to the 'Dimension C Build Report' thread.

My version is more of a cross between the Dimensions C and D (it uses the circuitry of the C, but performs the stereo input function of the D, for example) and has some other mods.

I've put up a page here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id9.html

With some additional stuff here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id11.html

The schemos need a bit of correcting and such.

Cheers,
Scott

CS Jones

You do such great work Scott.
I'm thankful that this board still attracts guys like you.
I plan on studying your stuff as in depth as I can during this next year.

Please hang around. You're such a valuable resource.

Clay

TheBigMan

I just got a DC-2 myself, no problems with tone sucking for me though.  It's got 1M input impedance IIRC, rather than 470k.

DiyFreaque

Thanks, CS.

I'm not going anywhere - I can't believe how much I've learned on this forum!  It truly is golden.

Cheerio,
Scott

inverseroom

Hey Freaque, is there any chance that you'll eventually create a stompbox-sized layout of the C?  Perhaps the same circuit except with knobs?  The schem does make it look rather complex, but certainly not our of our league.

Well...out of mine.  :oops:

DiyFreaque

The  :oops: is all mine - I have never once in my life actually designed a PCB.  My hat is off to all of you guys that can crank out PCB's.

I think it's because I am by nature too impatient - I've got so much protoboard sitting around, it's just too easy to transfer what I've got on the breadboard over to it and be done with it.  I've got some PCB making supplies, but I just haven't gotten down to brass tacks....

A PCB version of the Dim C would be great, but, man - fitting just the original Dim C into a Boss stompbox was a work of sheer PCB genius in my book (the parts count is huge!).  If someone here talented in the PCB arts wants to give it a shot, I'd be all for it!

Cheers,
Scott

D Wagner

Quote from: DiyFreaqueThe  :oops: is all mine - I have never once in my life actually designed a PCB.  My hat is off to all of you guys that can crank out PCB's.

I think it's because I am by nature too impatient - I've got so much protoboard sitting around, it's just too easy to transfer what I've got on the breadboard over to it and be done with it.  I've got some PCB making supplies, but I just haven't gotten down to brass tacks....

A PCB version of the Dim C would be great, but, man - fitting just the original Dim C into a Boss stompbox was a work of sheer PCB genius in my book (the parts count is huge!).  If someone here talented in the PCB arts wants to give it a shot, I'd be all for it!

Cheers,
Scott

This sounds like a job for Francisco Pena at Tonepad.  His layouts are so compact and well done, that he could fit the thing into a Hammond B size box.

Maneco

i built mine on veroboard...fits in a compact pedal,and is my favourite chorus...one two pole four positions rotary switch for selecting the presets...no true bypass

inverseroom

Quote from: Manecoi built mine on veroboard...fits in a compact pedal,and is my favourite chorus...one two pole four positions rotary switch for selecting the presets...no true bypass

Maneco, are you serious?  Do you have a layout diagram for it?

That's quite a feat!

Maneco

Yes,i'm serious...no layout,because i used the veroboard as a component holder,and point to point wired everything ...an insane kind of work,but i use to do those kind of things...that's the technique i use for all of my prototypes,even the most complex ones...