Tripple Fuzz, and frequency triplers in general

Started by bwanasonic, April 13, 2005, 11:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanasonic

One trait of Tim Escobedo's Tripple Fuzz I have found to be very useful is how it enhances other distortion devices further downstream. My current configuration uses a BOSS HM-2, a tweaked vintage TS9 and a BD2 with Brian/wampcat's synth fuzz mod, all proceeded by a Tripple Fuzz. The Tripple really acts as a nice enhancer for any of these pedals. I also recently read the copy for Zachary's "The Machine" and noted that it too is a frequency tripler, and also seems to enhance other distortion devices placed after it. What exactly does a frequency tripler do?

Kerry M

Pedal love

It simply does that it give you three times the input frequency, so if you have a 800hz input, you should get 2400hz on the output. I have never really seen them on much other than communications circuits and I am shocked this type of circuit has a musical function, but I learn something here everyday.pl

Tim Escobedo

Yes, a frequency tripler is supposed to multiply the input frequency by 3. However, in practice, it seems to require a very narrow amplitude window to do that job properly. Even then, it's a pretty optimistic hope. For a normal audio signal, it's just a fuzz that seems to do some odd wave folding at the crossover point. I do think it sounds very sweet at minimum gain.