couple of questions from a newb

Started by chamberpain, April 14, 2005, 07:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chamberpain

Hi. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while here, but this is my first post.  I first wanna say thanx for all the great info.  Without you all, my creations would be non-existant.
Some background(sorry this is so long) to the questions:
  I have an amp (Bogner Uberschall) that has some real issues with its effects loop.  Basically the channel volumes control how hot the signal is in the loop(which is designed for rack gear).  And when you have a pedal in the loop, and turn the loop on, you get some distortion(overloading the input of the pedal) and a volume drop. So I needed a way to pad the signal down for my pedals and re-amplify after the fx. So I decided to make the Adjusticator, which is RG's design, on breadboard.  It seemed to work fine for cutting the signal, but it wouldn't re-amplify it after the effects enough to make a difference.  So I ended up having a volume drop anytime I would kick on the fx loop.  I tried increasing the voltage, which was suggested in an earlier thread. But still no help.  So I dismantled that and descided that since I had the parts, I would make a  simple buffer.  
   When laying out the simple buffer, which came from ggg (the ic buffer), I noticed that I was putting in my electrolitics backwards.  Stupid me.  :oops:  Usually I'm really good about following layouts and such.
Now to the questions:
1. What damage can be caused by running the electrolitics  backwards in the adjusticator?
2. could this be the reason for it not reacting the way I feel that it should?

Again, sorry this is so long.
and thanx for any help you can give me.
Josh

R.G.

Quote1. What damage can be caused by running the electrolitics backwards in the adjusticator?
The electro caps could be toast. They generally get leaky, then shorted if you run them backwards for any amount of time in a circuit where they conduct any amount of current. I would toss them out. It's likely that nothing else is dead.

Quote2. could this be the reason for it not reacting the way I feel that it should?
Oh, yes. It certainly could.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

chamberpain

Thanx RG,
I guess I'll have to go pick up some more caps then. :D