dc jack works and battery does not? dunlop wah

Started by boogietube, April 14, 2005, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogietube

I'm trying to repair a dunlop gcb 95. It works with the dc jack and not the battery. Any Ideas? I measured the battery 9.16v  and i measure voltages of 8-9.16v at various points in the circuit. I'm very new at this and need help.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Pedal love

Exactly where are the leads of the battery connected?

boogietube

They're connected to a header which is plugged into the board via a strip of pins.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

Mike Burgundy

If you measure voltages in circuit, the battery appears to be connected.
The DC jack usually switches the battery off when a plug is inserted - this might be a problem. Also, check voltages with the battery and with adapter, carefully taking notes and comparing as you go. Maybe it's a s simple as a reversed battery hookup...
I think I have a '95 PCB around somewhere  -could you take a digital pic of yours (to make sure)? That way I could draw in some arrows to show where you should measure what.

boogietube

i dont have a digital camera but this link is the same board:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/tb4.html

niftydog

just to clarify, you say you connected the battery and you're reading the battery voltage at various points in the circuit yet it still doesn't work?

How have you read the voltages? I would perhaps read them by placing the black multimeter lead on the ground connection of either the input or output jacks (whilst they have plugs inserted in them.) This will make sure you're getting the voltage reading across the right points in the circuit.

Do you get similar readings when using the DC supply?

Have you tried a new battery?

potential dodgy switch mechanisim in the DC jack...
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

boogietube

My black lead was clipped to the input jack ground with input jack inserted. This battery is good, although I will try another one. I will try a comparison of voltages  between the jack and the battery. I'm thinking it is the dc jack, now that you mention it. I'm very appreciative of you help so far, but 5 am comes early. I'll post tomorrow.