thomas organ wah : to mod or not to mod ????

Started by dansamp, April 15, 2005, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dansamp

so i have been doing a lot of searching regarding wah mods
seems most are for the gcb95 crybaby or he reissue vox wah
i have a mid to late 70's thomas organ wah 95-xxxxx-01 type
would this benefit from the numerous mods out there ???
it has the chocolate "stack dime" inductor it sounds good
but i am wondering if it can be improved
also i was thinking about putting in a buffer
and discovered there is and input and output buffers  :shock:
so which is the most common and what are your suggestions

thanks for any help
dan................ :roll:  :roll:

ninoman123

If you dont mind dropping the value of it. If the pedal doesnt drive your wah circuits very well then I would suggest building an output buffer. You could build it in a separate box in order to keep the value of your wah. If you dont mind modding it then there are plenty of mods to do. Just do whatever sounds good to your ears. Just because its a mod doesnt mean it will improve anything.

dansamp

what is the value of this pedal????

i pulled it out of the trash when a friend of mine was relocating..
he threw it out 'cause he said it didn't work

after cleaning out all the dirty cat litter that was thrown out along with it
and tweaking the tip of the input jack it has worked just fine for years  :wink:  :wink:

ninoman123

Try this site

Its a good one. Has a picture of your Thomas Organ Wah. I think most wahs work the same so the Q resistor the sweep caps and stuff should all have close to the same values. If they dont. Retrace the board to see where they connect to and compare the schematic of your wah with a new one to see which component it is.

I'm not too sure on the value of it. I think it ranges but it may be around $100 right now. Just depends I guess.

Hope this helps.

LoudGreg

"it has the chocolate "stack dime" inductor it sounds good"

I'm a bit new to this and far from being a Mod-Jedi, but it's my understanding that most inductors sound the same except the TDK inductors.  Go to the Analogman.com site. He's got plenty of great wah material there and an interview with one of it's creators. The Italian made Fasel inductor wah's are worth $$$ on E-bay. But Reg T.O. wah's range $90 - $120

At the same time, my thomas organ Cry baby has the TDK inductor in it and I actual like it. I can get that Micheal Schenker "are you ready to Rock" sound without any problem. And it's a great wah. I have a KIng Vox wah that's identical to it that I'm going to mod out. (after I learn how.......)
Guitar player not a tech............