adding a second output?

Started by Narcosynthesis, April 15, 2005, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narcosynthesis

how easy would it be to add a second output to a pedal?

it would probably work just to take a second jack in parrallel of the normal one, but using two amps or whatever you would end up with ground loops and whatnot

how hard would it be to isolate the second output somehow? is it hard to do? i know i have heard using a small transformer before for isolating outputs, so it it just a case of adding a small transformer with one side using the hot/ground of the jack, and one from the circuit, or is it more complicated?

David

Narcosynthesis

onboard

I don't know if you tried a forum search on this topic or not  -  understandable if you did and are still asking. I ran every combination of "add extra output" "tuner out" "parallel output" and other similar phrases and wound up with hundreds and hundreds of posts to wade through. All with no clear indication in the title to help point me towards any in particular. No wonder there's been some talk lately about spiffing up the search...

Now, about that adding that output. :roll: Do you want a dry output available all the time, or are you splitting a wet output to two destinations? I *did* manage to find a post from Paul Marossy that mentioned adding a tuner out in parallel with the input jack.  That would work for sending a dry signal to one amp and wet signal to another, buffering would be a matter of choice.

There's good info at GEO if you're interested in transformer isolated signal routing - too much to retype here.
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Narcosynthesis

a clean output would be cool, basically to let me run two amps, fom a mono signal, i could always use distortions after it...

if it would be easier to add a second efected output then i would do it that way...

i ament toobothered really, just thinking it would be cool to get some form of stereo to run additional amps form

David

Mark Hammer

In fact the current line of Roger Mayer pedals (in the leaner rectangular boxes, not the "spaceship" ones), do exactly that.  Apparently they all come with a buffered clean output, tied to the input, apparently to accommodate parallel processing.

Just about any of the FET buffer circuits posted around ought to do the trick.  Guitar goes to buffer, buffer goes to output jack AND rest of effect circuit.

rockthebass

have you thought about an A/B/Y box or some other kind of signal splitter not on the pedal itself?  im actually starting on one of these today for my friend and might wind up building one for myself

Narcosynthesis

i have a/b boxes and suchlike at home, i was just wandering how hard it would be to add in a second isolated output to a pedal

David

The Tone God

Depending on the room availible and the effect itself to provide the isolated and split/mixed signal you will need to put some active circuitry. Any of the many availible mixer/spliters can serve for this purpose.

Andrew

Narcosynthesis

i dont really wan tto add in any extra circuitry

how would just putting the seond jack in parrallel work for getting a second output?

the only prblem would be isolating the second output, how would i have to go about that?

David

The Tone God

It is hard to recommend any course of action without knowing what we are talking about like say what effect you are planning on doing this with ? ;) Need more information.

Andrew

Narcosynthesis

the effect will be a lpb2 and rangemaster in one box

i was just thinking if i could add a second output easily enough it would be very cool as it would let me play about with running two amps and whatnot

David