Substitute for JRC386 in Uglyface

Started by ryanscissorhands, April 15, 2005, 05:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanscissorhands

I did a search, and saw that an LM 386 was substituted for the JRC 386 in Tim Escobedo's Uglyface. Looking at smallbear's stock list, on page 3 of "ICs - Op-Amps and Linear" there is an LM386-N3, and it says that it's "1/2 watt audio power amp for headphone amps and talk-boxes." Well, as weird as the uglyface IS, it ISN'T a talkbox. Will this still work as a sub, or is there a better substitution.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Dan N

Try a search of the forum for the LM386. There was some discussion of the differences depending on the last number. I think the N3 was the best sub.

I have a LM386N-1 in mine at the moment and it works O.K.

And yes, both JRC and LM 386's are little power amps.

Good luck!

NaBo

I think the dudes from runoffgroove///www.home-wrecker.com (where you'll find a perf layout) used an LM386 in their build... I tried one in mine too.  Settled on the LM in the uf i think, and liked the JRC better in my ruby, but theres not a HUGE difference....  uglyfaces are probably all slightly different anyway cuz most builders have been making their own vactrols... hard to justify using a somewhat expensive component like the VTL5C3 in something so ugly :P.  Don't worry... either way it will be very very ugly :)

j0shua

JRC386 : Is more stable than LM386 but LM386 works well if you can't find the IRC386........

I build my own effects and many other whit JRC386 and LM386 and sound very cool......

some example of what i build:

Smash Box , Big Daddy, Stupidity Box and many of my own design effects.... you can click on my WWW to see :)

cheers

MartyMart

I just built the ROG "Grace" OD with a very cheap LM386-1 and it sounds
fantastic !! ( I put a 1n high roll off cap to ground near the output )
The JRC386 is supposed to be better/more stable for the "Little Gem" etc but my "Ruby" also has that LM386-1 in it with no problems  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ExpAnonColin

Note that you WILL get different results using a -4 rather than a -3 because it has more power...

-Colin

school

dan N, check your private messages

jmusser

I used the LM386N in mine with good results. I thought I would try it, because I didn't have a JRC at the time, and that is a standard Radio Shack chip I can get easily. I also used the TLC555 timer chip from Radio Shack. As a matter of fact, I used their medium sized photocell and red LED for my LDR. If you go to http://www.home-wrecker.com./uglyface.html   there are some great build notes on it by Gary Burchett
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

ryanscissorhands

Thanks all for your comments. I've now made my first Smallbear order. $260 USD. . . I'm ready to get building!