Weak Joe Compressor

Started by StephenGiles, April 15, 2005, 05:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Something for the weekend sir?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/StephenGiles/weakjoe.gif

I've lost the link to the original circuit, mine is easier to read. There is a k missing on attack!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

petemoore

Interesting, I have a buncha TL062's here too !
 What are the 'suffix' numbers after the resistor values in the resistor boxes, toward the northwest part of the schemtatic?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

StephenGiles

Exactly which resistors are you talking about. I don't understand why you cannot read them.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Aharon

Nooooooo!,I just boxed the WHAT comp and the GREEN pre ,now I have to start again,this is more adictive than dulce de leche.
Aharon
Aharon

jrc4558

Man, what are you doing to me? Just when I thought i've built my "holy grail" Craig Anderton Compressor... Argh... Now I need to go get parts and all...
Joking, of course. Thanx for the amazing schematic!
Cheerzz!

jrc4558

Yeah, I totally forgot to ask...
Is there a pcb layout for this awesome monster?
Thanx. I love optical compressors.
Nevermind, I'm a lazy moron who doesn't follow the links posted. Here:
http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/images/weak_joe_a_bottom.png
http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/images/weak_joe_a_ground_plane.png

Michael P.

Quote from: AharonNooooooo!,I just boxed the WHAT comp and the GREEN pre ,now I have to start again,this is more adictive than dulce de leche.
Aharon

What's the GREEN pre? Focusrite?

Aharon

Quote from: Michael P.
Quote from: AharonNooooooo!,I just boxed the WHAT comp and the GREEN pre ,now I have to start again,this is more adictive than dulce de leche.
Aharon

What's the GREEN pre? Focusrite?

http://1176neve.tripod.com/
Aharon
Aharon

Ptownkid

i just made 4 channels of green pre, they sound great

Mark Hammer

As usual, Steve, very nice work.  Nice draw, nice features, nice adaptation.

One thing I would point out - and this is by no means a weakness of any sort - some of the 1% resistors probably don't need to be, other than maybe for reasons of noise level and the unique qualities of the envelope detector, and even there most of the 1% resistors are sitting in the sidechain where HF hiss is obviously unheard.

More specifically, the 2k21 resistor in the gain stage after the Threshold control can work just fine if it is a 5% 2k2, and the 4k64 resistor in series with the Bias trimpot can be 4k7 without harming the circuit.  Because the original unit has some clear requirements for envelope detection, all the 1% components after the "key In" should be left as is.

In the audio path, the 6k81 and 5k49 resistors can be 6k8 and 5k6 without taking much away from the performance.  Obviously, wherever there is a pot to change things, nothing is truly relying on a specific value.

Again, use of 1% metal film resistors all round is often recommended for serious studio work, but if the person considering building this apparently excellent unit is held back by the absence pf certain resistor values, fear not - it can still work just fine.

StephenGiles

Mark - this isn't my circuit by the way, in case you hadn't realised, I just adapted my "What" drawing to the "Weak Joe". I agree with you about the 1% resistors, I couldn't be bothered to change the values!
Stephen

Dave_B

This post is a few months old, but I thought I'd ask:  Has anyone here built this circuit?  If so, did you do the ground plane side of the board?
Help build our Wiki!

StephenGiles

Possibly not................I tend to use veroboard!
Stephen

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I've been wanting to build that one since forever... Maybe now is the time... to put it in queue.  :-\

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Dave_B

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on October 06, 2005, 04:46:57 PM
I've been wanting to build that one since forever... Maybe now is the time... to put it in queue.  :-\

Fp
That's where I am too, FP.  But... it's behind a lot of stuff.  Looking at DIY studio equipment just adds to the list of things I'll never get to. 
Help build our Wiki!

12afael

I don´t understand the threshold control. it work more like a compressor level (of a kind)... than a comparator.