Thermal grease in stomp box??

Started by syzygy, April 15, 2005, 06:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syzygy

In my Boss SD-1 there is some yellow grease smeared over some of the capacitors.. what is this for?  And when I need to replace those caps with new ones, will I have to thoroughly clean out the old grease?  Should I bother with adding new grease after the replacement?

Here is a pic.

Thanks!

R.G.

That is hot glue, put there to hold them in place mechanically. It's not thermal grease.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

syzygy

Ohhhh, ok.  Me feel silly now.   Thanks for your ever-presence on this board R.G. :)

Narcosynthesis

it will just be some form of glue or the like to hold the bigger components in place, to stop them moving if you bash the pedal

some builders do cover the whole circuit in goo (notably fulltone) to hide the circuits, though in that case it s jsut holding them in place

if you want to get the components off the board, you would need to get rid of the goo somehow...

David

loscha

Quoteif you want to get the components off the board, you would need to get rid of the goo somehow...

does freezing it and tapping it with a hammer work?
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

niftydog

Quotedoes freezing it and tapping it with a hammer work?

doubtful. Do you really want to freeze your pedal? Don't think it'd be very good for it. Nor would weilding a hammer near the circuit board, especially when it's frozen!

Hot gule is surprisingly easy to deal with. Take a sharp knife and have at it.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)