Mounting 3mm LED's

Started by snorky, April 16, 2005, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snorky

Hey all,

I'm starting to use more 3mm LED's and wonder how you guys mount them?  Ideally, I'd like to mount them from the back so the hole is just the size of the LED (like BOSS and I think ZVEX).  BOSS uses a fancy bracket, but there must me something simpler and more DIYable??  I don't really want to use a bezel type or overdrill the hole for a sleeve type mount.

I was thinking of just using a small amount of "Shoe Goo", but then I'm kind of a barbarian...

TIA!

- Mark
Elephants are the new skulls.

nelson

I just drill the hole just large enough force the LED through and use glue from a glue gun to secure it in place.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

mojotron

I do the same thing, drill it for a super tight fit, then use a small amount of hot glue on the back after putting it through the hole... hot glue is the stuff I like to use... bathroom caulking works well too - you just need a thick enough glue to not drip through and dry fast.

Pushtone

I've been doing the "mount from behind with hot glue" thing. One thing I can add... I found the glue would stick better if I scratched up the area around hole. Deep scratches for the glue to bite into. Without scratching, the LED would fall throught with a light push. With the scratches it takes a hard push to loosen it. GERR (good enough for rock n' roll) Perhaps oil on the inside of the box is my problem.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

petemoore

Yesterday I blew the RS Bezeled LED. Don't come out either...done.
 I put in a regular red LED, perfed flush on a teeny perfboard piece, then just stuck it in there, and put a piece of plastic the board pins down on it when it's screwed in. Be Quick with the iron or tie the leads to the next hole or something...copper side away from the metal box of course.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.