Simplest ovrdrive

Started by moreduff, April 17, 2005, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moreduff

Hey, could anyone give me PCB layout and schematics of fuzz? I`ve made 2 fuzzes but They havent worked, now I`m looking for simplest way to do fuzz

Dragonfly has provided some excellent vero layouts.  Check it out here:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17

Looks like there are many in there that are extremely simple.

which fuzzes have you tried?  you should continue to troubleshoot them.  I've built some really complex stuff that worked on first try... and then i do an Easy Face fuzz and spend half a day troubleshooting it :D

MartyMart

Try my "One knob Fat Fuzz"
Its in Dragonfly's vero layouts above.
Dead simple and sounds great !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

You get good with applying that DMM and you'll most probably figure those out.
 IF that don't work the audio probe may tell you where to look.
 When everything is right, 'it has to work.
 See if you can check that resistance shown on the schematic in Resistance Range mode, but an Alternate path through circuit for in circuit resistors may show a lower reading than the resistor alone...skip/note it and move on, or pull one end and get a reading.
 Measure every resistor and check the schematic for that part value just prior to installing resistors on new builds.
 Check for continuity on populated boards where they're supposed to be.
 Check for non-continuity where it isn't supposed to be [shorts].
 Check all grounds.
 Take transistor pin voltages and post them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MattAnonymous

What about a schottky diode.  I think that's the simplest thing that I can think of.
It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

brett

Or 2 Schottkys in a Joe's OD or Easydrive.  Both have a high ratio of sound quality to number of components.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Torchy

You'll get more mileage debugging the ones that dont work.

jmusser

As of yet, I haven't made any complex circuits, but usually within 20 minutes of going through a non-working (or kind of working) build with a clean schematic and a highlighter, I'll find the error of my ways. I will usually go ahead and draw in the switches and jacks also, so I don't have to go to a separate piece of paper for that, and add to the confusion. If it has worked for other people in the past, then it'll work for you. The schematic don't lie. It says "I'm sorry Bud, but you just flat wired that part of the circuit wrong", or "you used the wrong value component"!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

petemoore

2'' speaker hooked to too big an amp for it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

My advice is to not give up on your past projects.  Sometimes it may take awhile to get the bugs worked out but it is worth it in the end.  Debugging effects is where you really learn how this stuff works.  
To help eliminate problems in the future really take your time when soldering and choosing parts. Rushing is where a lot of problems start

Good luck with your FX :)

MattAnonymous

Quote from: brettOr 2 Schottkys in a Joe's OD or Easydrive.  Both have a high ratio of sound quality to number of components.

God I love that EasyDrive!  I think it's the silicon equivalent to the Fuzz Face in its awesomeness and tone.  I've got a nice little Kay tube amp that I run it through and the amp and effect compliment each other nicely.
It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

robotboy

Quote from: dosmunMy advice is to not give up on your past projects.  Sometimes it may take awhile to get the bugs worked out but it is worth it in the end.  Debugging effects is where you really learn how this stuff works.  
To help eliminate problems in the future really take your time when soldering and choosing parts. Rushing is where a lot of problems start

Good luck with your FX :)

I second that. I don't allow myself to start a new project until I finish whatever I'm currently working on and have it working. I would suggest that you make the audio probe described in the debugging section of this site and use that to trace through your existing non-working fuzzes. I've used it a couple times, and it's a fantastic tool for tracking down problems quickly. Another simple thing to try that can fix some broken builds is to take a safety pin and scratch between any close connections to insure that you don't have any accidental bridges on your board. Anyway, if you decide that you'd rather try building something else, I can't say enough good things about the bazz fuzz. It's a very simple build, and the bang-for-the-buck factor is very high.