Build report: Orange Squezzer, Scambler, I-EA Tremolo

Started by Pushtone, April 17, 2005, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushtone

Build report: Orange Squezzer, Scambler, I-EA Tremolo

The OS-1 and Scambler builds went OK without significant problems. I used GGG pcbs and parts as listed on JD BOM without substitutions.

OS-1
The OS-1 is, like everyone says, very transparent and drives my Fender Blues Jr. amp and VOX AD30VT nicely into over-drive. I've ended up using it more as a clean boost than a compressor. I have to build a Mini-Booster now to compare clean boost vs. clean boost with compression. I had to sacrifice the battery to fit it in the 1590B box. The box started life as a Mesa-Boogie amp footswitch which is why the LED is so close to the knob.

Scambler
The Scambler was a little tougher. Even though I was warned on JD's instructions that I might have to twist the transistor pins around I didn't. Thank god I used sockets to mount them so it was EZ to get it working once I figured it out. However about a week after the build was done I started getting problems. Turned out the transistors were bouncing around in their sockets. I ended up removing the sockets and that solved the problem. I probably won't use sockets any more. More trouble than their worth. As far as the sound goes... I agree with the description on Tonepad.com. Sounds like DOOM. I find that it is only usable when playing high registers like the B and G strings above the 7th fret. I get better results when I stick my BOSS 7Band Graphic EQ ahead of the Scrambler with 1.6k and 3.3k faders full up. I do like the BLEND control, should be on every fuzz box IMHO. I'm thinking the Scrambler may get bumped off the pedalboard when I build the BSIAB. Scrambler is sort of a one trick pony, but it gets attention.Probably should have tried JD's Octiva instead.

Improved EA Tremolo
This build gave me the most problems. First I didn't expect the 1.uF caps to be so BIG! I had to move it to a larger box than I had in mind.

But the bigger box let me add the 1/2 speed mod and I really like how that works. Greatly increases the speed range. The problem with this build was that when I engaged the effect it would go KABOOM!. Disengaging it would make the normal little pop expected from the mechanical 3PDT switch (Thanks Aron, I'll be getting some more FS's soon). I discovered that when I moved the freaking huge caps away from the footswitch and wires the KABOOM went away. Move it closer and its back. EMI from capacitors? Solved the problem by wrapping the pcb in foam (non-conductive) and several layers of tin foil. Not pretty but no KABOOM. If I where to build it again I think I would use these caps instead of the Xicon  "greenies" for the 1uF value caps. They are a lot smaller. Found them on the PT-80 BOM.
DME1W1K  http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=281342&e_categoryid=497&e_pcodeid=59809
The sound of the I-EAT is quite nice and very usable. I like it better than the digital tremolo in my Digitech RP-80 or VOX AD30VT. I wonder how it compares to the Tremulus Loon. Only way to find out is to build on I guess.

A word about the paint jobs...
I used DupliColor Metalcast spray paint.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html
This suff has been mention around here before but without any details. I just love it so much so I bought it in three colors. This suff works best as a color tint over rough sanded aluminum. If you spray one good coat its translucent and the effect of the rough sanding lines (sand in one direction like JD does with 280-320 grit then tint with Metalcast) makes it look like brushed anodized aluminum. Looks cool in direct sunlight and stage lighting but impossible to capture on film. Heres my best attempt.

It was super fun building these boxes, and I am addicted now. This has come full circle for me. Some 25 years ago my dad and I build a Heathkit color TV that broke down monthly. 19 years ago I got the Anderton book and tried a couple of those project that I could not get working. I remember taking the bus all over town to find parts. I was hard just getting parts and when they didn't work I bugged my mom until she bought me a Big Muff Pi. My days of building came to an end before even starting. Fast forward to today. The internet has made this so much easier with Mouser and Small Bear not to mention all the schematic sites. This has effectively filled the vacuum created by Heathkit's demise. I am so glad I stumbled onto JD's website GGG which led me to the other web sites. Thanks to all who make this place great. Now I need to figure out what I can sell to support my new habit. :wink:
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

petemoore

Nice Finishes !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Nice look.  What did you use for the "frame" and swami head?

Pushtone

Quote from: Mark HammerNice look.  What did you use for the "frame" and swami head?

Good point: Each box has a waterslide decal covering the full top. The Swami head is from a 50's B movie poster called the Amazing Alexander. The frame, control labels, and head were layed out in a vector graphics program. I use Corel Draw.

The waterslide decal I thought would be EZ. There NOT. I ended up sanding several off before I got wise and found some scrap aluminum to pratice on. I went through $10 worth of decal paper until I had it down. Perhaps I should start a thread with decal tips that worked for me.

Can anyone comment about EMI coming from the 1uF film capacitors causing the KABOOM? This was surpising to me.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

nightingale

dig it!
those boxes are sexy!
QuoteImproved EA Tremolo
This build gave me the most problems.
i hear you,
i have built a few of those for friends and each one needed different TLC.
One time i ordered the GIANT GREENIES by accident for the .47uf values in a EA trem. lol!

QuoteI am so glad I stumbled onto JD's website GGG which led me to the other web sites.
Thats my story too,
I crossed paths with JD's site an few years ago, and it got me well on my way..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

MartyB

Those are gorgeous Pushtone!  Nice jobs!  I really like your translucent technique.  Now where to find that paint..
8)