asymmetrical clipping and wah wah behavior

Started by nightingale, April 17, 2005, 05:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

Hello,
I made a strange observation when i was fine tuning some of my pedals. The pedals i was dialing in on my board were a modified TUBE REAMER, and a modded DIST + type circuit. Both circuits are diode clippers.

I was playing around with asymmetrical clipping variations in the circuits, mostly with GE diodes, sometimes with a SI diode mixed in there.

What i noticed is that when i have diodes in an asymmetrical type clipping configuration, that i get a  nasty unmusical mid-hump distortion in the middle sweep of my WAH  pedal.
When i move the diodes back to a symmetrical clipping configuration, the nasty distortion in the middle of my WAH pedals sweep seems to go away?

I play an early 80's modded crybaby modded the the specs seen here: http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axiswah/axiswahlayout.gif

I have my wah 1st in front of all of my other pedals.

It crossed my mind that this is another reason that WAh's and FF type ciruits dont get along is because a good FF has asymmetrical clipping? Why does this asymmetrical clipping make my WAH have a really nasty spot?

I really need to get my scope up and running so i can see what this distortion looks like on a trace..

I play alot of WAH drenched in echo, and sometimes even leave my wah stuck in a certian postion to get certain tones. It kind of bothers me that i can't use the asymmetrical clipping on my OD pedals.. mostly because the asymmetrical clipping gives the pedals a little more output..

anyone ever have any similiar experience?
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Giaime

Quote from: nightingalebecause the asymmetrical clipping gives the pedals a little more output..

anyone ever have any similiar experience?

Exactly that. Maybe with less diodes the output of the stompbox is driving hard the wah's input... and you're getting distortion. Try to lower the volume on the stompbox...