OT: passive looper with dual footswitch for amp

Started by Pushtone, April 17, 2005, 09:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushtone

Not really an "pedal", this is a passive looper with a couple of twists.
Twist one: All hard wired connections to minimize foot print and lower cost. ie; less 1/4" jacks and connectors.

Twist two: In an effort to eliminate as many cables as possible, I used 2-pair microphone snake cable to carry both the guitar and footswitch signals to the amp. My amp and many other amps have a footswitch jack. My amp has channel switching and effects bypass using a single 1/4" TRS jack. Nothing new, lots of amps have this config. Some have two mono 1/4" jacks, same thing.

My amp puts 3V on the each FS line and wants to see a latching switch to toggle states. Thats a huge amount compared to the millivolts produced by the guitar. Using high quality snake cable keeps the two signals isolated from each other. It works great! No noise when switching channels/effect bypass.

I called the first loop "DIGITAL" because I use a digital multi-effects pedal here and I hate to go through its AD/DA converters when its in bypass mode. I called the second loop "ANALOG" because this is where I put my new and future DIY pedals. The Ying Yang symbol represents the two worlds of A and D that sometimes don't get along with each other. Its a delicate balance. Gee, just like life. You can also use half a loop to go to a tuner and then the loop becomes a tuner mute switch. I was going to put in a DC jack but found that a battery lasts a long, long time. (LEDs are dimmed with 4.7k resistors)  I used 3PDT switches for the loops (with LED) and DPDT switches for the amp FS (with LED). The guitar input is the only 1/4" jack on the box. It's a bit of a rats nest inside, a pcb would clean that up. The 2-pair cable isolates the signals so well I thinking up uses for 6-pair cable.

Drawbacks
Draw back one: the hard wired output mean no more pedals can be inserted after the second loop. but you can always put pedals in front of it.
Drawback two: 2-pair is expensive at around $2.00 per foot and a bit bulky at .45" OD
Drawback three: the 2-pair cable must live and be stored with the pedalboard. I only need 12 feet of cable between my pedalboard and amp. If you need 20 feet, it starts to get unmanageable. I was planning to use a multi-pin connector so the cable could detach, but good ones are expensive.

Wow this post is long and who the heck am I  (a newbie) to be telling you this? Just call me Walters I guess. ;-)
(Walters if your reading this, sorry to pick on you. Just trying to be funny)

And now for some pics...

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

littlegreiger

That looks great and sounds like an awesome idea.

Toney

Looks great!  :D
Helluva professional finish.
Nice.