PAIA Gator op amp question

Started by primalphunk, April 17, 2005, 09:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primalphunk

I built a PAIA Gator from their kit that I was given for my birthday.  It uses an LM308 op amp.  Is that a dual op amp with standard pinouts like an JRC4558 or NE5532?  If you've ever built one of these do you know if I can safely start swapping op amps?  It seems like I should be able to but I'm just dumb enough to have my doubts.

Thanx in advance for any help that can be given.

peace,
James

petemoore

The LM308 [used in Rats] is a compensated opamp, the standard duals are not substitutes, in my limited tests of swaps they didn't work.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

toneman

elaborating on Pete's comments--
the 308 is a single OA.
the 5532 is a dual OA.
*totally* diferent pinout/animals.
"uncompensated" means U have to add a compensation cap.
usually across pins 1 & 8.
if U got a kit,  it should work.
Paia has been producing this kit for 20yrs.
it's a noise gate, so shuts off when U R not playing.
why would U want to "swap" the OA??
stayworking
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Mark Hammer

Actually, the 308 is an uncompensated op-amp.  I think what Floyd/Pete wanted to convey is that it NEEDS to be compensated externally (cap between pins 1 and 8) to function appropriately, since the internal compensation is not present as it is on many other op-amps.  Easy terminological mistake to make.

Depending on the role the chip is expected to play inthe circuit, it can be subbed with a compensated op-amp...or not.  Typically, designers use compensation for specific reasons.

I've found PAiA to be very responsive to inquiries in the past.  If you have any concerns, feel free to give them a shout.  Who knows.  There might be a chat with John Simonton himself in there somewhere.