Sparkleboost Build Question

Started by robotboy, April 17, 2005, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotboy

On the sparkleboost, do pins 1 and 2 of the trimpot both connect to the 1uF electrolytic cap? If so, can I just connect pins 1 and 2 and then connect pin 1 to the 1uF?

petemoore

Four connections at that node, the wiper and an outside lug, of the trimpot, the Drain and the output Cap.
 The ohter side of the trimpot to 9V
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

robotboy

seanm

Quote from: robotboyOn the sparkleboost, do pins 1 and 2 of the trimpot both connect to the 1uF electrolytic cap? If so, can I just connect pins 1 and 2 and then connect pin 1 to the 1uF?
Yes. You can connect pins 1 and 2 and then connect either pin 1 or pin 2 to the 1uF.

robotboy

Quote from: seanm
Quote from: robotboyOn the sparkleboost, do pins 1 and 2 of the trimpot both connect to the 1uF electrolytic cap? If so, can I just connect pins 1 and 2 and then connect pin 1 to the 1uF?
Yes. You can connect pins 1 and 2 and then connect either pin 1 or pin 2 to the 1uF.

That's what I did. I finished the build last night, and it sounds great!

Dragonfly

Quote from: robotboy

just catchin' this thread....glad you got it working ok :)

did you get it biased properly ?  what guitar/amp are you using it with ?

anyway, i hope you enjoy your sparkle boost ...

andy

robotboy

Quote from: Dragonfly

just catchin' this thread....glad you got it working ok :)

did you get it biased properly ?  what guitar/amp are you using it with ?

anyway, i hope you enjoy your sparkle boost ...

andy

I got it biased to 4.55 volts, and I believe the rule is +/- 5%, so I'd imagine that's plenty close enough. I'm using with my standard rig, which is a Gibson Les Paul Junior w/ P-90's going into a Rivera Knucklehead. I also have a 15-watt Fender Blues Jr. that will be arriving today that I'll be using it with for home recording. I'm actually building two. One for me and one as a birthday present for my stepdad. He plays in a rockabilly band that's very popular locally, and he uses an early 1960's Chet Atkin's Gretsch going into a Fender Twin Reverb. Anyway, I love the sparkleboost. It's my favorite boost so far, and I've tried quite a few (won't name drop because they're all good in their own way  :wink: ). The gain/volume combo on the sparkleboost is what I really like because it gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of how you want the boost to sound. Anyway,  I'd like to send you a CD of my band to show my gratitude for sharing your schematic. If you PM me your snail mail address, I'll be happy to get one out to you.

Dragonfly

I got it biased to 4.55 volts, and I believe the rule is +/- 5%, so I'd
imagine that's plenty close enough.

yep...that'll work just fine :)

I'm using with my standard rig, which is a Gibson Les Paul Junior w/ P-90's going into a Rivera Knucklehead. I also have a 15-watt Fender Blues Jr. that will be arriving today that I'll be using it with for home recording.

nice setup ! you've got great taste in gear !

I'm actually building two. One for me and one as a birthday present for my stepdad. He plays in a rockabilly band that's very popular locally, and he uses an early 1960's Chet Atkin's Gretsch going into a Fender Twin Reverb.
cool...i love rockabilly...roots rock...alt country...blues...well, pretty much every type of music :)   let me know how it works with his setup, if you would,....

Anyway, I love the sparkleboost. It's my favorite boost so far, and I've tried quite a few (won't name drop because they're all good in their own way  :wink: ). The gain/volume combo on the sparkleboost is what I really like because it gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of how you want the boost to sound.

thats pretty much why i like it with a different variety of setups...its really pretty darn flexible....and i like the extra "grit" just to give a bit more "teeth" to the tone sometimes...

Anyway,  I'd like to send you a CD of my band to show my gratitude for sharing your schematic. If you PM me your snail mail address, I'll be happy to get one out to you.

pm sent !!!

you have absolutely no idea how cool that is of you...i appreciate it greatly !

andy
dragonfly fx

Dragonfly

ESPguitar

Which transistor is in it? (i'm asking of which is supposed to be in it) :D

Thanks,

RB

Dragonfly

Quote from: ESPguitar

Thanks,

RB

its a JFET...as shown in the schematic drawing, its either a NTE458 or a J201...either one will work, though i designed the circuit for the NTE458, so it sounds just a *touch* better, IMO....

ESPguitar

Quote from: Dragonfly
Quote from: ESPguitar

Thanks,

RB

its a JFET...as shown in the schematic drawing, its either a NTE458 or a J201...either one will work, though i designed the circuit for the NTE458, so it sounds just a *touch* better, IMO....

Thanks, cool:D

RB