Stompbox Database?

Started by Dji, April 18, 2005, 08:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you use an online stompbox database?

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: April 18, 2005, 08:23:24 AM

Dji

Has anyone considered building a database to store the library of stompbox layouts, schematics, parts lists, etc? I recently ordered a number of assortments from Goldmine and found myself clicking through the gallery and searching the archives to try to find projects to which I could apply my random transistors etc.

It would be great if we had an online tool where we could feed in a few part numbers and get back possible matches. Given the spirit of volunteerism around here (piles of Torchy layouts, for instance) if such an application existed folks would probably populate it.

If this has been discussed before, sorry to retread old ground. Just throwing it out there.

Coriolis

Great idea! I recognize the situation you describe, and a database could a fantastic addition to this community. Now, if only I knew hoe to make one... :roll:

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

robotboy

I think that's a great idea. It'd be awesome to have something where you could plug in: I have this transistor, these cap values, etc..., and have it spit back, "you can build this... but you also need these parts or you've got everything you need to build this." The coding behind something like that wouldn't be hard at all if you used an SQL server. In fact, I've do things like this for a living for the last 7 years, and I'd be willing to contribute if there's enough interest. The real challenge would be getting it populated with enough schematics to make it useful and having an interface that isn't daunting for contributors or users. To make it even more useful, I'd say that the database should be capable of handling part substitutions and approximate matches for things like input and output caps where it might be ok to have the values vary to a certain degree.

bwanasonic

I have thought about about a database, but my idea is more of a historical overview of who used what on what recordings. I could see it including schematics for comparison, but definitely not layouts. I like the Tonefrenzy site, and would like to see something like that combined with the historical info. I can't say I approach pedal building like: " I have these parts here, what can I build?" . I am not sure a database that returns all effects that use NPN transistors, 4u7 caps, and 1M resistors would be incredibly useful. I also see the inclusion of layouts as a sticking point. It's the most *proprietary* info, and the author/artist usually wants to maintain control. Here's the database I use:

www.geofex.com
www.generalguitargadgets.com
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/
www.muzique.com
www.runoffgroove.com
www.tonepad.com
www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/

A little manual cross-referencing between these and I have enough info to build  anything I'm currently capable of building.

Kerry M

Dji

...sounds like some folks like the idea. The obstacles, of course, are time, energy, and other resources that many folks would rather spend on activities like, I dunno... making stompboxes.

Keep in mind that the use I gave as an example (find projects by parts) is just one use; databases just store data for (if they're well-designed) efficient access. What you do with that data is up to your imagination. Those of us who are hobby-level, one-project-then-another builders would love to be able to pull up a project and generate a nice, tab-delimited file to import into Mouser's project system. (For instance.)

Also, I doubt the folks who have proprietary issues would mind a resource sending folks their way. You wouldn't post, for instance, the Tonepad layouts, but it would be nice to search for "Small Stone" and get links to Tonepad's project, GGG's project, and other Small Stone-related resources. The Layouts Gallery gave me the basic idea, since it has quickly sprung from the virtual loins and non-virtual efforts of the DIY denizens.

Anyway, if such a resource was there, I'd use it. Meanwhile, I'm happy to have the giant pile of resources folks have already assembled.

nelson

I for one would use it and think its a great idea.

From a business perspective it would generate traffic to other sites.
Also from the parts suppliers point of view, having that project just out of reach say you are missing one vital IC and the link to small bear to buy it was on the bottom of the project page, it would make great marketing sense.

there is a database where you can upload schematics on expocolins site the "circuit bender" if whole projects could be easily grouped and components easily matched it would be a godsend. As opposed to spending hours browsing through possible projects.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

DiscoFreq

Coincidence: this post was on my birthday and I'm trying to work on something like that :p

I guess this matches your EH Small Stone example (more or less):
http://filters.muziq.be/model/eh/smallstone

I have been adding effects type by type until now:
first envelope filters, filters, talkboxes, vocoders, octavers, ring modulators, phasers and now flangers),...
But I'm switching to adding them brand by brand as it's easier to get brands complete than to get all effects of a certain type.
I worked on these brands already: washburn, exar, koda, kod, locobox, electra, omnifex, solec,... (I started with the smaller ones).
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews

NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

Pedal love

Its a great idea. Do a rough workup asap. I will contribute. Thanks. :D

Johnny G

this sounds like a great idea to me. espescially if you get it right

i know that it would make it really quite large but why not have more catagories in it than just name schem parts list.

like bwasonic said, being able to search through by artist/band maybe even song would make it a really amazing resource.

course if you;re going to have it like that then you really need lots of people to help contribute/check information. so i think that an important part of it would be to have a way for lots of people to add information and then for a bunch of people to admin it so to speak (my first thought here is the same sort of way that wiki webpages go about things where anyone can add stuff)

the other question is how would you have the info on it? clearlly you wouldnt repost tonepad/ggg stuff you would link to them. but then would there also be schems contained within the database?

all in all, i think its a great idea and im happy to help out
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

Marcos - Munky

I don't use a online database, because I save everything in my PC, but I will be happy to contribute.