Does this sound like through zero flanging?

Started by cd, April 18, 2005, 03:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I've thought about it, but then I can't stop thinking about bife chorizo at this time!!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

:oops:  this thread seemed to elapse me a couple of days...

information lost...

Vsat

As puretube says, if the sample period for the would-be A/D-RAM-D/A flanger is too  long, there will be noticeable stepping as the flanger heads towards the upper end of the sweep. With a variable rate clock this won't occur as the sample period is  continuously changing, so there is no "quantization of delay time" (nothing new there, that's what a BBD does). With digital generation of the sample clock from a fixed master clock, there will be a minimum increment size that will determine the resolution. This would indicate a need for a very high sample rate, (and very fast data converters) to reduce the stepping to inaudible levels. Fortunately, this  is not a roadblock - there is an  interpolation technique that enables "in-between samples" to be calculated  on the basis of "fractional" sample times. This enables step-free flanging to be done using 44.1 KHz (or lower) sample rates and cheap CD data converters.
Cheers, Mike

DiyFreaque

Here's a noodle of the DW6000 through the Dim C TZF output.  There are six tracks of voices (noise, synth voices) being modulated by various rates and depths of flanging.  All in the symmetrical mode, 2.87 MB.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/dw6k_tzf.mp3

Cheers,
Scott