recommend a cleanboost

Started by pnak, April 18, 2005, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnak

This is my first post and I would like to know if there is a descent cleanboost that will not color my tone and bring me above the mix of my band when I solo. I am currently using my BOSS GE-7 EQ to boost the volume, but Im looking for something that will give me a little more gain(not much) and sparkle and maybe someone knows of a mod I can do to my BOSS SD-1 or BD-2 that may enable me to achieve this.

petemoore

Define 'distortion'...
 My GE 7 had so much boost in it to drive the amp totally manic, I never set it that high. Adding More boost may or may not be the final answer.
 Slight or moderate amounts of distortion [to oversimplify, more content in the waveform] tends to be heard as 'louder'.
 What the rest of the rig consists of and what you're trying to get it to do...
 The Eq of course has the voicing capability, and boost, perhaps what you want is a change [more, or less gainy] distortion sound at a different volume.
 For very clean boost and mongo output, the Mosfet Boost.
 I like Jfet boosters [using a MiniBooster alot these days]...
 But I also like Orange Squeezer [mild compression] and Simple Sim .
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

Dragonflys Sparkle Boost is my current boost.  I also have the AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Mini Boost, SHO and the SB is my fav.

ryanscissorhands

You have to let us know what level your electronics building is at. If it's like mine (little-zero practical experience), then go with the Beginner Project. If you're more advanced, then we can talk other stuff.

The one I
m going to build is the Dual AMZ MOSFET layout available at generalguitargadgets.com. I decided since I'm new to this, I'd go with the PCB. I like the idea of having four volume settings that I can access randomly with one stomp.

bwanasonic

I always thought the BD-2 did a reasonable job of this in it's stock form. Nothing too inspiring, but turn the gain between 7-9 o'clock, and set the tone and level as desired. For DIY, I am a wild eyed devotee of the AMZ Mosfet boost. Much more inspiring than the Boss, but a BD2 in the hand is worth two in the bush...  :)

Kerry M

pnak

MY build experience is at the beginning stage . Ive modified a few boss pedals with good results and was looking into maybe a ground up cleanboost build. Ive read alot about the KATANA boost by KEELEY but dont want to throw around that kind of money. Is their a Katana clone out there that may be practical to build.

I have used the stock BD-2 for  a lead boost in the past but it does swamp the tone of my original signal.

I play blues, classic riock and some of the new heavier rock, so most of the time the lead will be boosted from either my keeley DS-1 ultra or my INDY-MOD MT-2.

Phorhas

Try using the first stage of the BSIAB 2 as a booster. try playing with the 0.068 cap (larger?) and output cap. It has sweet sparkling tones in it
Electron Pusher

robotboy

+1 for the sparkleboost. It has a gain control, so you can control the amount of breakup, and it sounds great!

jmusser

I built the John Hollis Titan boost a couple a couple weeks ago, and like it a lot. If you go ahead and build on the octave portion, and make it switchable, it makes a nice warm sounding, boosted up octave. I've used it quite a bit since I built it, but since it's my first boost, I don't know how it compares to the others. It will make your leads jump out, and doesn't distort at all. The boost and the octave go real well together. Since it's boosted and not fuzzed, it transitions cleanly from one to the other. That's my 2 cents anyway.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

trjones1

Take a look at the LPB-1 on the Tonepad site.  It's very transparent and has lots of boost available.  It also has a very low part count and is fairly straight forward to put together.  I like mine a lot, it can really drive the front end of a tube amp well.

j_wyatt

I've got to tell ya, I just built the mini-booster, and that little thing brought my amp to life. My amp sounds dull in comparison when the effect is off. I've been playing in rock and blues bands for a good 20 years now, and I have heard a lot of stuff (and played through my fair share). I wish I had discovered the mini-booster years ago! I also have the PCB from AMZ for the Mosfet Boost, and I cannot wait to use the two in tandem. I simply can't get around to building it fast enough.

pnak

thanks alot guys. This being my first post I appreciate all the feedback. Tha sparkle boost sounds interesting . where would I find info on that.
and also the BSIAB-2.

Coriolis

Check the Layouts Gallery. It's one of the links at the top of the page. Look under Dragonfly's layouts.
And Welcome to the forum!  8)
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com