TS-5 mod problem

Started by sonicparke, April 19, 2005, 01:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicparke

I'm working on Modding a tS-5 to 808 specs.  I've got the mod's done but the enclosure was broken so I thought I'd rebox it too.  Well...from working on it the LED wires came lose and I reattached them to the board and the battery wires came loose too so I fixed those as well.  I took the swicth off so I could put a stronger momentary switch on.  I know I got the LED back on right becuase I did one then the other broke.   I'm pretty sure I got the battery back on right because I tested the sleeve of the power jack and the ground lead on the battery connector and I got signal through that.

The problem is that the new swicth doesn't work and the battery gets REALLY hot really quickly.  and the pedal doesn't work now.  I know this is kinda vague but what things might have gone wrong?

sonicparke

I figured out that I did have the power leads switched.  I hope I didn't fry it.  Oh well if I did.    :oops:

petemoore

IF the battery is getting hot, that is most likely a direct V_V+ short.
 Also most likely is that this high current never made it into the circuit board, and may not even have blown the Reverse polarity protection diode, just the battery got hit with it.
 Test for Voltage on the chip by powering up the circuit [after you straighten out the shorting and verify it is not shorting, by checking for non-continuity between battery clip red and black]...test for voltage at the chip by simply trying the box with Guit and amp or with the DMM.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sonicparke

I'm positive I have the battery leads switched.  Would that cause the short you referred to?  I'll cehck the battery clip for a short tonight.  Hopefully you're right and it just killed the battery and nothing else.  Thanks for the help.

sonicparke

I ran into something last night while I was replaceing the pots.  I took the board mounted pots off and attched leads to the board.  I got the leads soldered but I'm wondering if I need to solder the ground to the chasis of the pot.  The origianl pots we sodlered in five places.  All 3 leads on the pots and 2 to the chasis.  I assumed the chasis points were just for stability but I'm not sure now that it doesn't work.  It worked before I did the pots.  I don't have a schematic becasue I haven't found one.  If I'm jsut not looking in the right place any direction would be a great help.  Although, even if I had one I'm not sure I could read it right.

javacody

sonicparke, I believe you can find the schem at RG's Technology of the Tubescreamer article (see GEOFEX link at top of page).