LFO waveform shape of moogerfooger 102

Started by peter ripa, April 20, 2005, 12:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter ripa

according to the specs its supposed to be a square and a sinus but on my scope its definetely square/triangle.  
curious if someone else here has an mf102 and can confirm this as i dont suspect mine is broken, just some faults in the documentation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

While yolu have the scope out Peter, can you check the peak to peak voltage?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Peter, according to the manual, it should be a sine, and it should be +- 1.5 volts. (unless you are inadvertently looking at the carrier output, which is +- 1.25V)
If the sine is generated by a triangle overdriving an OTA (as it is in my commercial Blue Ringer), then maybe the triangle for some reason is too low & not being flattened out to a sine by the OTA. Just a guess, I havn't seen inside one of the MoogerFoogers.

peter ripa

im looking at the LFO and its a triangle, just over +-1.1 V.

mlabbee

Peter - while you've got it open, can you see what the input drive section uses?  A while ago someone was showing me the Murf and how you could crank the input to get this amzing overdrive - very rich, creamy sound (the rest of the effect was basically turned off).  I'm curious to know what kind of input buffer/boost they use . . . .

peter ripa

yes the overdrive on the moogerfoogers is beatiful. i often use them in bypass mode, ie in the insert jack prefilter on my voyager.
i wouldnt know the circuit myself but i opened it and took some pictures. i´ll post the links when they´re up

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm sure you could get that 'overdrive' by just wiring half a LM13700 (or NE5517) as an amplifier, and...overdriving it. (details in the data sheets).
I'm pretty sure that the LM13700 would be doing the work in there.
(appreciate a confirmation though, if anyone has one open).

In fact, a LM13700 amp, with a control to vary the current to the gain input (NOT more than 2ma, though!) would be a simple & useful project.
Remember the LM13700 is an OTA, not a normal op amp.
And note that Moog used to have a patent on using OTAs as distortion elements :wink:

peter ripa

there are four LM13700N on the board

if your particularly interested in the number of an IC and cant make it out of this pictures, let me know.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks Peter, that's interesting! Those FPQ3906 are quad transistor packages, I believe.
I don't think I can say anything else, though.
All I can think, is try to trace the triangle backwards using the scope.
Be careful not to short pins 1 & 16 of the LM13700s to anything, though!
I've lost a few that way... :cry:

puretube

free information sucks...

peter ripa

it seems hard doing a sinewave. i have lots of analog gear but this is the only one claiming to have a sinus and apparently it doesnt.

puretube: which one do you mean? i got some closer up photos

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It isn't hard to make a sine wave!
As I said before, you just make a triangle, and amplify it wiht an OTA (eg, half of one of those LM13700s). IF thelevel of the triangle is just the right height, you get a suprisingly good sine out (accuracy about 2%, which is surely 'close enough for rock and roll'). It's a standard thing to do. As close as most diode sine shaping networks.

puretube

peter ripa

i dont know but you see the numbers clearer here