Phillips "OD-1" vero version working great !

Started by MartyMart, April 20, 2005, 03:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I never liked my "very old" OD-1, I'd had it for years, it was the "quad" op-amp version, metal screw from about 1978.
I thought it was "thin" and a bit "raggedy" sounding on anything but very
gentle drive..... it went on Ebay for about 200 bucks !!!!
So I vero-boarded up a version of it, the "dual" op-amp version by Phillip
at Fuzz central, it fired up first time !!
I underestimated the size and had "run out" of vero so it ended up a bit
cramped and included a "daughter board" for the output section..... see
below--->>

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album03/Vero_Daughter

I used a Burr Brown OPA2134PA which sounds fantastic, also MPSA18's
for both trannies, a mixture of metal film/carbon film resistors and the
caps are from steve, Panasonic ECQ's I think.
Socketed op-amp and trannies ( usual stuff )
It's SOOOO much better than the old original, warm, creamy OD without
a hint of the "thin" sound of the original.
I have a box from "hairforceone" that looks a bit like a Boss box and its
painted bright yellow, so is good to go !!
Once I re-think the layout, I'll post it up as a "neater" version, it only needs a couple more strips and a few holes to fit comfortably.

Thanks to Phillip,
Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

phillip

Marty, did you mess with the 4K7/0.047uF series and the "level" pot?  I helped Gonzofonts with an OD-1 a few days ago and he had excellent results by replacing the 4K7/0.047uF with 2K2/0.1uF (for more overdrive) and the 10KA level pot with a 100KA (probably increased the output a bit).

Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Phillip

MartyMart

Quote from: phillipMarty, did you mess with the 4K7/0.047uF series and the "level" pot?  I helped Gonzofonts with an OD-1 a few days ago and he had excellent results by replacing the 4K7/0.047uF with 2K2/0.1uF (for more overdrive) and the 10KA level pot with a 100KA (probably increased the output a bit).

Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Phillip

I've done that kind of mod to SD-1's and I didn't like the "gain" increase!
There seems to be enough, but I may "up" the level pot value, perhaps
a 50k would do, as its only a bit quiet now.
Thanks for the schem Phillip  :D

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

RDV

Marty:

I'd b interested to know it compares to an SD-1 soundwise. I know PT uses an old OD-1.

Thanks

RDV

petemoore

2 Questions...
 Did you build the whole Jfet bypass switching arrangement?
 Is there a schemtic available that shows an OD-1 for use with true bypass switch ?
 I looked a Fuzz Central, am I missing the OD-1 schematic there? ie..I'm not seeing one.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Here's the schematic of the OD-1 with the JFET switching:

http://axiseffects.home.att.net/misc/OD1.gif

And here's the same circuit, but with the JFET switching removed:

http://axiseffects.home.att.net/misc/OD1_noswitching.gif

Phillip

TheBigMan

That's cool MM, I've been planning to do the quad opamp version myself.  So many people seem to think it sounds better than the dual version that I have so I was keen to try it out.  Be a while though, I'm currently working on the Colorsound Tremolo on vero.

MartyMart

RDV
I have not had a chance to compare them yet, I'll do that tomorrow and
LOUD !!  - I can say that I like it A LOT  :D

Pete
I used the schem above without the switching section, so yup true bypass

BigMan
I sold my "quad op-amp" version just two months ago.
I never liked it so much, I'm sure this is much better, probably due to the
true bypass/OPA op-amp and generally more "pure" signal path.
It seems "clearer" and a bit more "full" sounding  :D

Marty.

petemoore

Thanks for the links Phillip, and the thread Marty Mart, and for the responses and help everybody !!!
  D4 and R30 [1n1418 and 430 ohm]
 These two seriesed components between Battery - and PS Jack - [I'm not so good at reading PS part of schematic so correct my question for me if necessary please]...what do these parts do ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

GonzoFonts

Quote from: phillipI helped Gonzofonts with an OD-1 a few days ago and he had excellent results by replacing the 4K7/0.047uF with 2K2/0.1uF (for more overdrive) and the 10KA level pot with a 100KA (probably increased the output a bit).
Phillip

:mrgreen:

I do have a problem with mine. It's most likely due to the fact that I build it on a bread-board.

I think there are some shorts and/or opens on the bread-board because the sound will come in and out. Sometimes when the sound does come out, it does not sound like it's supposed to. I can twist the bread-board a little and sometimes I can get it just right where it sounds perfect.

I like building on bread boards because I can swap components out really fast and most of the stuff I build is just for fun and experimentation.

Can anyone recommend a high quality bread-board? The one I have is old and it was top of the line years ago (7 or 8 years ago) but I don't know why it's acting flaky.

Also, where is a good source for Vero boards? I may start building on those. I checked all the local electronic shops in town and they either don’t have them or don’t know what I’m talking about.

Thanks.

GF

MartyMart

Quote from: petemooreThanks for the links Phillip, and the thread Marty Mart, and for the responses and help everybody !!!
 These two seriesed components between Battery - and PS Jack - [I'm not so good at reading PS part of schematic so correct my question for me if necessary please]...what do these parts do ?

Pete, i omitted that section too !!
I didn't quite follow it, unless its just some more PS protection, the other
way around ?
Incase of tooo much voltage, like a 16v supply....  ??

I just went with a reverse 1N4002 straight at the 9v + - ->l   before the caps and 9 --> 4.5 VR

Aron has veroboard now   :D     BTW   !!

Marty.

Melanhead

Hmmmm interesting ... I just modded 2 of my old quad op-amp versions of this pedal because of the same "thinness" ... ( both had been in a drawer for many years and in pieces ... didn't think they were vintage on e-bay! ) ... Can't remember exactly but I just changed 4 caps in the signal path, all panasonic ... I also put a switch in for symmetrical clipping.... I now love these things! ... I have a TS808 reissue and the OD-1 kicks it's ass :)

I can take a peek inside the pedal if anyone wants to know what I changed exactly ... but I'm not home at the moment ;)

I found another OD-1 as well but it's a later 4558 model ... it's also in peices and I'm gonna experiment on it :D

TheBigMan

Quote from: petemooreThanks for the links Phillip, and the thread Marty Mart, and for the responses and help everybody !!!

That one I do know.  Older Boss pedals used the ACA power supply (12V unregulated as oppose to 9V regulated from a PSA) so there was a resistor and a diode in the jacks ground path to drop the voltage to 9V.

MartyMart

Quote from: MelanheadI found another OD-1 as well but it's a later 4558 model ... it's also in peices and I'm gonna experiment on it :D

:roll:  :shock:  :roll: ......... !!!!!

I wish I could just "find" a few vintage pedals ....   :wink:

To sum up my changes :
PHILLIP......

I switched the 0.047/ 4k7  to a 0.068 and a 3k3 for a little bit more gain
and I'm very happy with it  :D
Volume pot is now a 50k Log, that solved the output problem too.
BTW:
It's a "killer" sound now I think its better than a stock SD-1, my other
one is modded so hard to tell, perhaps even on sound/quality !

Marty.

Melanhead

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: MelanheadI found another OD-1 as well but it's a later 4558 model ... it's also in peices and I'm gonna experiment on it :D

:roll:  :shock:  :roll: ......... !!!!!

I wish I could just "find" a few vintage pedals ....   :wink:

Marty.

... keep looking ... :D  That's not all I found ...

ckeck this out ... http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=31517&highlight=

Cheers ...