shielding with common aluminium foil...

Started by barret77, April 20, 2005, 06:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barret77

Hi

I've searched the forum for this, but couldn't find a strong answer;

Is common aluminium foil glued at a non metallic box a good shielding technique? If not, what would be the budget alternative?

I also read something about "layering" the shield with  alternated non conductive material layers - like paper. Is this true? I would be making a giant capacitor this way, wouldn't I? I'm not sure if it's a good idea...
Is it something desirable for the interior of a wood case?

thanks for any ideas...

Karmasound

yes it works just fine.

I do that when i'm testing a circuit and don't have a box.

It looks like a deli sandwich with great tone.

Just make sure you connect it to ground.

I haven't looked but I bet you could get some thicker stuff that wouldn't tear as easy.

aron

Karmasound

make sure nothing touches it but ground or it will short out

ryanscissorhands

I asked this same quesiton a while ago when I was building some microphones.

Aluminum foil will work, as long as you can get a decent connection to it. The problem is that the connection has to be mechanical, since you can't solder to aluminum. An easier alternative (if you can get any) is some copper foil with adhesive on the back, because it sticks well, and you can solder right to it quite easily.

Something I've tired that can theoretically work is by using cigarette foil. I had some in my basement from when I foiled my pick guard (looked pretty cool!), and tried it on a piece of plexiglass. It stuck well, and with a screw into the plexiglass, it made a connection on problem. The only issue was that if I bent the plexiglass, the foil started to come off. Other than that, if you have a hard surface to rub it onto, cigarette foil is fine.

Pedal love

Any type of metal surrounding the circuit can create a faraday shield, which is completely necessary for radio frequency rejection.pl

barret77

great, thanks for all the responses. Any ideas regarding the aluminium/paper-interleaved shield? Is it real, mojo or bs?

dave h.

how about pickguard sheilding, will foil work? do you just solder another wire to a grounded point and clip it to the foil somehow?

petemoore

Aluminum foil can't be soldered or welded so the connection must have to be mechanical.
 Alligator clip will do the job as will screwing [clamping of some sort].
 Aluminum eventually may have some chemical reactivity to other metals, I don't know the details, but when working with connections and materials on a prototype automated glove machine, we read about the compatibility/reactivity of different metals when exposed to one another.
 I guess Foil and clamp method should provide decades of shielding performance before reactivities become an actual issue.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fret Wire

Copper shielding tape with conductive adhesive works great. No soldering or other mess. Just slightly overlap it. Costs a little but saves much time fooling about.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Pedal love

copper, aluminum foil, zinc......or a metal box :D

bwanasonic

Heavy-Duty Aluminum foil can certainly work, but can be a PITA as well. If low cost is your main criterion, you can't go wrong trying foil and rubber cement. I would be more inclined towards  conductive paint because convenience and ease of application would be the biggest factors for me. If  the best shielding *quality*, and overall *slickness* is your goal, copper foil might be in order. Or you might just want to make a wooden *shell* for an aluminum enclosure. :idea: How about replacement cell phone style shells for effects? It may be the same tired TS clone inside, but imagine the *mojo* (and revenue) factor if you provided a new *skin* selection every few months?

Kerry M

Satch12879

You can also get foil tape at your home center in the plumbing section for a lot less than the cost of copper foil tape.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Paul Marossy

For shielding guitars and plastic enclosures, I use this stuff called "metal repair tape" available at places like Home Depot. It's basically aluminum duct tape. As mentioned, with aluminum shielding, all connections to ground must be mechanical, and all pieces must have electrical continuity between eachother for the shielding to be effective - which can be a real PITA to do. But it works...

barret77

hey, thanks for all responses. I'll figure out the best way to shield my wood box.

This is all fault of finding a cheap router at craigslist: Now I can't help not using it. It's soo cool to work on wood... but I'm also only beginning on that as well...

rubberlips

here's something you might not have thought of - metal flywire for shielding
We have to test equipment for earth leakage and for large applicances it was recommended to use flywire as an earth around double insulated appliances to give it a virtual earth point.

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

barret77

flywire, you mean that one used in screened doors? actually it is a great idea! It shouldn't be expensive too. Thanks for that!

Arn C.

Paul M writes
QuoteFor shielding guitars and plastic enclosures, I use this stuff called "metal repair tape" available at places like Home Depot. It's basically aluminum duct tape. As mentioned, with aluminum shielding, all connections to ground must be mechanical, and all pieces must have electrical continuity between eachother for the shielding to be effective - which can be a real PITA to do. But it works...

I also have used this before and I SOLDERED to it!  It can be soldered to!

Peace!
Arn C.

Paul Marossy

QuoteI also have used this before and I SOLDERED to it! It can be soldered to!

Hmm... very interesting. I automatically assumed you couldn't solder to it since it's aluminum.

What "metal fly wire"? Is that like a metal screen as you might find on a screen door or something?