News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

FCB1010 Mod

Started by Noumenon, April 21, 2005, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noumenon

So, you might have seen that webpage regarding the FCB1010 mod.
I'm doing a version of that at the moment. However there are some things I wonder.

First, the expression pedals are regulated with a LED, a LDR and two resistors.
Schematic below:

How do I mod this so I can put a connector there to use with ernie balls?
In other words; how can I reduce that circuit from LED+LDR to one Potentiometer?

Secondly, the stomp switches them selves have a diode after them, is this just to make sure that the current won't travel the other way? Can I ignore these?
Schematic below:

Rodgre

Please! Link me to the mod site. I haven't heard about this at all and I would love to mod mine for remote setup (a remote footswitch that triggers the 1 button)

Roger

Noumenon

http://xsive.net/html/fcbmod.html

Not sure it's what you're after.
The mod is only to get it all in another box and have the pedals external.

Rodgre

Interesting. Like all Behringer stuff, it seems like there's barely anything inside that thing!

I think I'm going to try a mod.... I just want to have two external footswitches that are redundant for the 1 and 2 button on the FC. I would like to have a small footswitch setup on stage for triggering samples, instead of the huge FC, since I'm using three pedalboards at the moment.

http://www.rogerlavallee.com/news/data/upimages/pedalboards.jpg.w560h419.jpg

Roger

Noumenon

okay, so you want to replace the footswitches so to speak?
that's easy, you just need to fetch a bunch of momentary switches :)

I'm only stuck at the point on how to replace the expression pedals. Can't figure out how that LED+LDR circuit works. I'd understand it a bit mor if BLACK1 was after the LDR and not before.

anyone? ;)

BTW. got a chassi for it today, just asked my father if he knew any companies that could bend metal. he just snatched the CAD drawing and fixed me one. great :D

Noumenon

Could it be this simple?

BTW. the LDR is a Phototransistor, but I fail to see the difference. hm.

chokeyou

here's something i suppose you can TRY (no guarantees)

get ahold of one of the expression pedal pcbs, remove/cut the 2 wires that are what the midi junk reads off of, but NOT the power/ground. break out the DMM and measure the resistance of the circuit as you go through sweep, then just find a pot that goes to the same value. if you cant read resistance off of it, chances are it cant be replaced with a pot.

Noumenon

Yeah, I'm gonna try that one.

However, I'm in doubt 'cause it's a phototransistor, like the one in this pic (T1 and T2:
http://home.arcor.de/harald.graef/schematics/IR-Empfaenger/ir_receiver.jpg

And from what I know, which isn't much, a transistor doesn't alter the resistance. :(

Noumenon

Damned memory.

The transistor alters the mA from A to B
How do one calculate what value a pot should have to alter the mA from A to B?

chokeyou

or, what about just adding a jack to the enclosure and using one of the behringer FCV100 exp pedals, i'll bet they're built the same electronically.

Noumenon

easy, I want an ernie ;)
But a friend of mine has helped me.

All we need is to find a replacement for the phototransistor, a regular transistor, wire the jack to the base (250k pedal probobly) and if needed, some resistors before the base.

chokeyou

go for it. I'd like to see what you come up with and MAYBE a build tutorial? I'm about ready to jump into guitar synthing head first and need a midi controller to change programs in the nord lead rack i wanna get along with the roland RI-20 box. That link that was posted earlier is very interesting, and I think I'd rehouse it exactly like he plans to...but it seems he never actually started/finished it.

Noumenon

Yeah, however, I think his box is too big. Atleast too high.
If you want I could post a pic of the drawing I have of my case.

The anoying part now is the fact that the switches costs nearly a fortune *lol* Adn the display, it isn't easily removed.

chokeyou

well, the way he's going about it seems a little ridiculous, I'd be fine cutting up the existing black display panel, rounding the corners off, cutting a large hole in the enclosure and dropping it in. figuring out a way to punch those little rectangular holes would be a headache...not to mention if you get your spacing off you're kinda screwed.

Noumenon

yeah, but, how are you going to get that display piece of?
I'm clueless on how to do it.

anyway, my case:
http://212.112.183.111/IM1.png
the units is in mm.
----
did some probing today, it's 5v through the pedal circuit.
one thing that came in mind, why not just put the pot infront of the LED ?