A little booster to make volume higher?

Started by SuperGeo, April 21, 2005, 11:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperGeo

Hi

I made an Metronome here that drives with a nice volume an 8ohms speaker. I thought of using headphones on it but I'm not just sure if that volume is enough to play with a band

I wanted to add an little amplificator to just make volume higher enough to play with drums, but I wanna run away from those battery killer 386 (nothing against them).

Maybe a little booster like LPB would solve my problem?  to minimize the parts list, what components would be just not useful here, once that the metronome just tic-tic-tic-tic

Thanks

brett

Hi.  Piezo buzzers are a lot louder and use less juice than a speaker.
They typically have about 1kohm impedance and offer 95 to 100 dB/W efficiency. (ie between about 2 and 10 times as loud as speakers at the same wattage)
Mouser etc should have something like this;
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AB3462&CATID=&keywords=piezo+buzzer&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

SuperGeo

actually I just want only headphones as Output for the metronome

what happens is that it's output even with the headphone is low and when playing with the drums it can be not loud enough so I want to boost it's output and add a volume control

just to be more clear :]

brett

What does the metronome schematic look like?
Is it one of those 555 based designs?
If not, what sort of output section does it have?

You should be able to get lots of volume from headphones, even from a very simple design.  Even a 555 will supply an ear-damaging 0.5W  :twisted:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

SuperGeo

the layout for the metronome is here

http://vitorferraridrummer.vilabol.uol.com.br/metronomo.jpg

it's a very simple circuit.

QuoteEven a 555 will supply an ear-damaging 0.5W

now I wonder if it's better just to put a Pot before the headphones  :lol:

EDIT:  Is there any way to lower the pot value (see picture above)? I want to use some sliding pots but none of them here has so much resistance. The higher I have here is a double 100k sliding pot

SuperGeo

Put a Headphone jack after it and it sounded more unpleasant, I don't think anyone could play 2h with that sound in head

Is there any component that is like the sound generator? I wish I could make it smoother, but how to do it?

thanks