Boss DS-1 mod. (more midrange)

Started by vajhoj, April 22, 2005, 10:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vajhoj

Hey everyone.

I'm new here, and let me just say: What a great site!!!

I have a question about mods. for my Boss DS-1.

I would like to get a bit more midrange tone. And lose some of the (to me) screaming hi-frequency.

Would I get this with the Anolog Man DS-1/Pro mod.?

Does anyone have schematics, component-lists etc. for this mod.?

Best regards from Denmark

Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

petemoore

Fuzz Central has DS-1 mods...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

vajhoj

Quote from: petemooreFuzz Central has DS-1 mods...

Doesn't the Fuzz Central mod. make it a bit more Heavy-sounding?

I'm in for a more blues-&/rock n roll- like sound.

br.

Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

Melanhead

MartyMart

Hi and welcome !
Have a look inside at the circuit, see which section is connected to the
"tone" pot ..... you can make changes there to loose some "top" end and
re-voice it for a bit more "mids".
Doing this carefully will be fun and you'll learn something...
Bigger value caps = more low end
Smaller caps = more mid's/ high's.
Also using a small cap ( 2.2nf or 0.0022uf ) from signal to "ground" will roll off some "top" and putting a very small cap ( 47 - 300pf ) across the
pair of clipping diodes will take some harshness off the distortion.

Take a look and see what you can figure out, its not "rocket science"  :D
( or you could just buy the fuzz central info, but where's the fun in that? )
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Melanhead

yup .. it's fun to experiment, and you'll get an idea of how signal flows through the circuit and what you can and can't change ...

... chances are you have your own idea of the tone you're looking for and tweaking is the only way to get it, as tone is so subjective ;)

I tweaked mine for a few weeks ... It's definitely better but I'm more partial to the milder clipping of an overdrive ...

vajhoj

Quote from: Melanheadhave a listen to mine ... that's what I tried to do ... more mids :)

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=32443

Hey Melanheld.

That sound just great - I think I'll try that mod out.

Thanks.

/Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

petemoore

You could add a cap to ground or cap/pot to ground to find the amount of high end rolloff control [in addition to turning the tone knob down].
 Because it's a Boss, I'd imagine you'd want to not try adding a pot, using the pot to find the resistance amount you want there, then use a fixed resistor and solder the C and series R [chosen value] in.
 I'm sure there's a LP filter cap or R/C in that circuit, increasing the value of the LP filter cap would reduce highs.
 To reduce lows, choose cap[s in the signal path to make smaller value[s.
 If you LP filter [cut highs] and HP Filter [cut lows] what's left is midrange.

Melanhead

Quote from: vajhoj
Quote from: Melanheadhave a listen to mine ... that's what I tried to do ... more mids :)

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=32443

Hey Melanheld.

That sound just great - I think I'll try that mod out.

Thanks.

/Michael

have fun ...

wampcat1

I have several diy ds-1 mods if you want to go the diy route. I also address the midrange issue (I have labeled what parts to change to give it more midrange for example).

I also have free mods when you join the newsletter list (All you have to do is send an email to info@guitartone.net and you will be sent an email confirmation).

Take care,
Brian

vajhoj

Quote from: wampcat1I have several diy ds-1 mods if you want to go the diy route. I also address the midrange issue (I have labeled what parts to change to give it more midrange for example).

I also have free mods when you join the newsletter list (All you have to do is send an email to info@guitartone.net and you will be sent an email confirmation).

Take care,
Brian

Well then. I've just joined - looking forward to the DIY-mods.
Guitarist from Denmark

petemoore

Them Tone knob circuits...you can either turn the knob or change a part and get nearly the same result sometimes...makes so you should try to sort that mentally [without going too mental on it...unless you're an EE...whoops lol]...you'll surely find that the voicing parameters can be moved around...
 I've socketted parts around tone knob...
 H'eres my two cents theories...a little of one or the others may do something liked...
 Decrease bass input [smaller incap or SP cap] and turn the tone knob down....
 Attenuate high with SP to ground cap...turn the tone knob up.
 Mess around with values that directly influence the function of the tone pot.
 ...not necessarily or in that order...
 When I get enamoured by a circuit, I'll double it, then have two tweeks that I can instantly A/B to compare...AAAGHhhhh...try someThing else on this one ???...it's lacking * compared to that one...

vajhoj

Quote from: petemoore
 When I get enamoured by a circuit, I'll double it, then have two tweeks that I can instantly A/B to compare...AAAGHhhhh...try someThing else on this one ???...it's lacking * compared to that one...

Great point!!!
Guitarist from Denmark