Tonepad RAT vs. GGG RAT ??

Started by Wild Zebra, April 22, 2005, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Zebra

So I tried to build the GGG Rat to no avail.  So I decided to desolder the parts and give the Tonepad version a try.  Whalha sucker fired right up don't ask me why but I'm glad it did.  Anyway I'm wondering what the diff is the tonepad version has alot lower parts count,  like on the resistors and only one tranny.

just curious has anyone made one or the other and compared it to the original?  Can both produce similar tones with the difference in parts?

"your stripes are killer bro"

nelson

I cant really comment on the GGg layout but I built the rat from tonepad.com first off I tried drawing the PCB using permanent marker and etching it which failed miserably, I then bought myself a cheap laser printer and some PnP from small bear and used that etching method, it fired up first time, I must say its my favourite distortion box so far. I think I will build the GGG version and compare. But simpler is usually better when it comes to DIY.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dpresley58

Built the Tonepad version from my own adapted PCB with my cousin. He'd had my original for about 4 years and it was time to get it back.  :D

In a side-by-side blind test with his ears, he couldn't tell the difference. We went through several settings trying to match the pot positions as closely as possible and were both pleased with the results.

I'll be building another for myself and retiring the original. I still have the box it came in, oh, about 15-or-so years ago. Just as a point of interest, we built his for under $30, and the tag on the box is $99.

I was wondering if anyone has a way of dating these by serial number. Didn't see any info on the ProCo site about it.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

Wild Zebra

have another ? I've heard changing the filter to a linear pot improves
its performance.  When I get one I'll try , but just wondering if anyone has
or if they are happy with the audio pot.

Headshot

I tried to build the GGG version from a board I bought from GGG.  Couldn't get it to work, after checking my work many times.  The only thing that happened was the Op Amp got VERY hot.....  Otherwise, no sound at all from the circuit.

Head

nelson

I am happy with the audio pot although it works backwords from treble to bass, unlike most distortions, changing to a 100K linear pot wont make that much difference, same sounds available. It will just change its "sweep".
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

LivingDeadPunk

I've built Tonepad "la rata" with a 100k linear pot and it works very well, it's my main distortion box now. :twisted:

100k lin or 50k log doesn't make a big difference, as Nelson wrote it just changes the sweep, I feel like 100k lin makes it "smoother" tho.
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

petemoore

Seems like they would be slightly different because the rolloff points for that lug 3 and 1 see are different, so at median pot settings there should be 'some' difference [because there will be a difference resistance ratio from 1 and 3 to 2...going from log to linear [seems like to me]...I've never messed with it and trust your ears that whatever difference [if any] is hardly 'here nor there'. It'd be interesting to see if a scope could tell.
 At best it'd be a very slight voicing mod, and at that probably inperceptibly 'better'...lol.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nelson

well, if your going to get pedantic about it lol.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dosmun

I built the GGG Rodent on a GGG board and had no problems.  The GGG has a millenium bypass circuit added to the layout so that accounts for some extra parts.  I used True Bypass and didn't use the Millenium circuit.

dosmun

QuoteI was wondering if anyone has a way of dating these by serial number. Didn't see any info on the ProCo site about it.

Their serial numbers don't mean anything.  Checking the Pot date codes is the best way to determine when it was built.

j0shua

Rat Distortion cool ! .....

I have some troubles whit Tonepad schematics but anyway , i like more the GGG Rodent a Mod over Rat version :) sounds very cool and nasty when i ask  :twisted:

bwanasonic

Quote from: dosmunThe GGG has a millenium bypass circuit added to the layout so that accounts for some extra parts.

No the original Rat is the schem from which the millenium bypass was derived. The GGG schematic is merely staying with the original design.  :)

Kerry M

nelson

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: dosmunThe GGG has a millenium bypass circuit added to the layout so that accounts for some extra parts.

No the original Rat is the schem from which the millenium bypass was derived. The GGG schematic is merely staying with the original design.  :)

Kerry M

Interesting to know...........
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dosmun

QuoteNo the original Rat is the schem from which the millenium bypass was derived. The GGG schematic is merely staying with the original design.  

What do you mean by original schem?

The original RAT was True Bypass with a DPDT and no LED.  Unless your talking about the Rat 2.

bwanasonic

Quote from: dosmun
What do you mean by original schem?

The one with an LED...

Kerry M

dosmun

Wild Zebra

thanks for all the info
I really enjoy the sound of this pedal so far.  I actually made it
for a friend cause he uses a rat and wanted one with a led.  Sounds
like changeing the pot may just be personal prefferece

dpresley58

Quote from: dosmunTheir serial numbers don't mean anything.  Checking the Pot date codes is the best way to determine when it was built.

Pot date codes? Hmm. Not quite sure what that is. Will I be able to determine that easily, or is there a key for deciphering the numbers?

I'll unweld the enclosure again to get a look :lol: Those suckers are built like -tanks-...
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

dosmun

On the pot there will be a # starting with 137 the next 2 numbers are the  year and the last 2 are the week made. For example if  the code reads:
1378628 that would mean that the pot was made the 28th week of 1986.