Torchy's GGG's BSIAB2 problems

Started by whitewave, April 23, 2005, 08:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitewave

I'm planning to build BSIAB2 on veroboard, and Torchy's layout is what I choose.

I have some problems before starting building it:

R9 - is it an error? Do I have to waorry about where it is?

R13 - 4.7K.  Is it for led only?  So I can substitute it to match the Led I'm going to use. Is it right?

C1 and C6 are suggested as ceramic.  250pf and 150pF.  I can't find ceramic capcitors at Smallbear, but Silver Mica ones only.  Are they good substitute?
While other european shops I used doesn't seem to have 250pF caps, but 220 and 270.

R20 - linear on GGG and Audio on Torchy's.  What is it better to use?

C3a and C9 are non polarized caps.  I'm going to substitute them with alluminium electrolytics.

Thanks.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

MartyMart

I think the "R9" is just a missing "number" from the schem, so Torchy
has used the same "numbering" system here ... no worries.
R13 is for the LED - so yes you can sub in whatever suits here, but for a
standard red 3mm  LED that should work fine.
If you can only find the 220pf - 270pf  thats close enough for "rock n roll"
Silver mica are very good quality but are BIG ! so you may need small
ceramics ti fit on the board !!
Linear is a different "taper" to log, so you will get a big volume increase
much earliers on the pots "travel" - I like 'em though so no probs  :)

Be carefull where you need "NP" caps you should use them, or buy some
non polar electro's .

Marty
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

dosmun

R20 is the Tone control.  Linear is the most common on Tone controls.

whitewave

Led - I'm not going to use a standard 3mm red one, but a 5mm blue one, so I have to substitute it.

250pF cap - Smallbear has 250pf Silvermica only, it seems that ceramic caps with that value don't exist.  I'll buy a 250pF Silver mica, a 220pF ceramic, a 270pF ceramic and a socket, so I'll try them.  Is it a good idea?

NP caps - Ok, I found them on Smallbear, i'm going to buy them.

Really thanks a lot.[/quote]
Marco
www.whitewave.it

MartyMart

Quote from: whitewaveLed - I'm not going to use a standard 3mm red one, but a 5mm blue one, so I have to substitute it.

250pF cap - Smallbear has 250pf Silvermica only, it seems that ceramic caps with that value don't exist.  I'll buy a 250pF Silver mica, a 220pF ceramic, a 270pF ceramic and a socket, so I'll try them.  Is it a good idea?

NP caps - Ok, I found them on Smallbear, i'm going to buy them.

Really thanks a lot.

Your LED, if its an "Ultra bright" you can knock the resistor up quite a bit
it will still be "bright" but then wont eat your battery !
I use a 6k8 to a 10k for those ....
If you need 250pf but can only get a 270 ceramic, that will be fine  :D
The big silver mica's may well fit, if you bend the legs in a bit and they
don't touch any other components ... !!

Hope you enjoy the circuit, its a "KILLER" sound   :twisted:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

pyrotek

You can sub a 220pF or 270pF for the 250pF (C1). Since C1's function is a filter for unwanted RF signal that may slip into the circuit, it won't affect the whole circuit that much.

You can connect two polarized 0.47uF in series with positive-to-positive
(-)---||--+-+--||---(-) or negative-to-negative +---||--(-)-(-)--||---+ connection to get a NP cap. On my BSIAB2 I used a (C3a) 1uF polarized electrolytic cap and I have omitted the C3b.

MartyMart

Quote from: pyrotekYou can sub a 220pF or 270pF for the 250pF (C1). Since C1's function is a filter for unwanted RF signal that may slip into the circuit, it won't affect the whole circuit that much.

You can connect two polarized 0.47uF in series with positive-to-positive
(-)---||--+-+--||---(-) or negative-to-negative +---||--(-)-(-)--||---+ connection to get a NP cap. On my BSIAB2 I used a (C3a) 1uF polarized electrolytic cap and I have omitted the C3b.

Yup but if you join two caps in "series" their value is "halved" !
So you'd have to join two 1ufs to get a 1uf value  :D
Two 0.47's in series will give you ..............0.47uf .....

Marty.

ibanezts808

Quote from: MartyMart
Yup but if you join two caps in "series" their value is "halved" !
So you'd have to join two 1ufs to get a 1uf value  :D
Two 0.47's in series will give you ..............0.47uf .....

Marty.

lmao, that's good times.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

pyrotek

ooopsss.... :)  

Parrallel ->  Ct=C1+C2+C3+...+etc.
Series ->  1/Ct=1/C1+1/C2+1/C3+...+etc.

I forgot that one, you need two 2uF caps to get a 1uF NP.

Thanks Marty :)

whitewave

We're now a little off topic, but this post is really useful to me.

So to connect two, or more, electrolytic caps in series I have to solder +/+ and -/-, and I have as total value C tot = 1/C1 + 1/C2

while as for parallel connecting I have to solder +/- and +/-, and the total value would be C tot= C1+ C2

Is it right?
Marco
www.whitewave.it

MartyMart

Quote from: whitewaveWe're now a little off topic, but this post is really useful to me.

So to connect two, or more, electrolytic caps in series I have to solder +/+ and -/-, and I have as total value C tot = 1/C1 + 1/C2

while as for parallel connecting I have to solder +/- and +/-, and the total value would be C tot= C1+ C2

Is it right?

Series  "polarized" caps is     in > +> - +> -> out
Series "non polar" caps is     in > +> -> -> +  or reverse that whole thing .
The rest for values is correct  :D

Marty. 8)

Torchy

Why do you call it "Torchy's GGG BSIAB2" ? I take my layouts from the schematics, not someone else's work. I didnt even look at the GGG BSIAB2 because I cant do pcb's ...... :?

Torchy

I'll qualify that (no edit button  :oops: )

I took the schematic from GGG, but didnt look at the project bits (ie layout, wiring etc).

If you wanted an explanation and/or help you could have pm'd me.

whitewave

QuoteIf you wanted an explanation and/or help you could have pm'd me.

thanks a lot, but.. why?  We're enjoying a community with no commercial purposes, your layouts are famous to be very well made and GGG is a site so useful for everyone.  I bought a PCB from them, and I'll buy others in the future, but now I would like to try with veroboard and I asked for something that could be interesting for someone else.

Excuse me.
Marco
www.whitewave.it