Vintage OD1 status led problem: please HELP!!!

Started by Fuzz, April 23, 2005, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzz

Hi everyone!

I've got a little problem with this old guy! The effect works perfectly (though it is very old and has many scratches on his box surface), but the led job is a bit curious. It is ALWAYS OFF but the moment I switch the effect on; just a second of light, then nothing. Coluld someone help me? Thank you!

Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

ibanezts808

i'm just a n00b here, but maybe your led is shot? it sounds like it is able to send enough juice around the circuit and as soon as it hits that led it's got nowhere to go.  just my 2 cents though.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

MartyMart

AHA !
That one is VERY old, thats how they used to be wired..... its a "momentary" LED, it just tells you when you switch it and doesn't stay on
!!!!!
I used to have one the same  :D

You could "mod" it but I wouldn't bother
When its on ..... ITS  LOUD   :twisted:

PS: I think they stopped doing that after 1978 ... !!!
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ibanezts808

lmao, I think I'll just stop answering questions now, lol.  but at least the correct answer surfaced.

I am so cool.

MartyMart

Quote from: ibanezts808lmao, I think I'll just stop answering questions now, lol.  but at least the correct answer surfaced.

NO don't stop !!
I've answered so many posts badly, you could write a book !!

Marty. :lol:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

ibanezts808

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: ibanezts808lmao, I think I'll just stop answering questions now, lol.  but at least the correct answer surfaced.

NO don't stop !!
I've answered so many posts badly, you could write a book !!

Marty. :lol:

lol, that's good to hear.  I'm still new to this whole thing so I figured if I'm gonna badger all of you gurus for help, I might as well try to spread the little knowledge I do have and maybe alleviate a little of your guys' load.

I am so cool.

MartyMart

"GURU" ------ "I" ,  am most definately NOT !!! :oops:

There are some very clever guys/gals here, I just happened to know
that "simple" answer !!  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,
Marty.

Melanhead

Quote from: FuzzHi everyone!

I've got a little problem with this old guy! The effect works perfectly (though it is very old and has many scratches on his box surface), but the led job is a bit curious. It is ALWAYS OFF but the moment I switch the effect on; just a second of light, then nothing. Coluld someone help me? Thank you!

Fuzz

Yup ... familiar with this as well ... I changed mine to make the light stay on when I did some other mods to it. The mod for the LED latching on is in the service manual. I have it but don't have access to a scanner ... You need to see the diagram, as well as read the intruction, because there are no component values on the board :)

Someone may have it scanned though ...

Fuzz

Thank you everybody guys (and Ibanez' too :wink: )!

So it's supposed to be normal...yes, I've heard something like that. My only complaint is that this unit is not mine; I'm only checkin' it for a friend of mine that has bought it on ebay. So I'm gonna suggest to leave the pedal as it is...but, in case he wanted the "modern" led job, someone of you could help me with that?

Thank you again!
Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

phillip

Go to this site:

http://www.godiksennet.com/default.asp?main=Schematics

Then scroll down to "Boss OD-1 - Overdrive p.2".  That's the part of the OD-1 service manual that shows how to modify the LED driver circuit so that the LED latches on.  It's in the "Modification on LED Drive Circuit" section half-way down the page.

The service manual is for the version of the OD-1 that has a single 4558 IC...not the earlier (I think) version that had two 4558s.

Hope this helps!
Phillip

Fuzz

Quote from: phillipGo to this site:

http://www.godiksennet.com/default.asp?main=Schematics

Then scroll down to "Boss OD-1 - Overdrive p.2".  That's the part of the OD-1 service manual that shows how to modify the LED driver circuit so that the LED latches on.  It's in the "Modification on LED Drive Circuit" section half-way down the page.

The service manual is for the version of the OD-1 that has a single 4558 IC...not the earlier (I think) version that had two 4558s.

Hope this helps!
Phillip

GREAT Phillip!!!  :D  :D  :D
It's definetly what I was searching for!  :D
How to thank you?  :oops:

Bye!