News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

FF Fuzz Pot

Started by HeaD, April 24, 2005, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaD

Hi! I've been tested the Fuzz Face that I finished to build some days ago. It sounds good, but I believe there is a problem in the Fuzz Pot. When I decrease it, the Fuzz level seems to stay the same, but the tone changes...    sound becomes "dark" and without treble tones... What can it be? Is that normal? Has this happened to someone of you? ( sorry for my english :? )
Sorry for my english :|

HeaD

petemoore

For Pos Gnd PNP FF's 'strange' behaviour, is...normal?>... Frequent.
 I don't remember understanding a sure fire fix other than conversion to PNP Neg Gnd. Circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

Make sure all of your connections are solid.  No bad solder joints etc...

Pedal love

Pay attention to the 1k pot-r6. Also make sure everthing is together, paying careful attention to r3, c2 and q2. Double check the polarity of c2. pl

HeaD

Quote from: petemooreI don't remember understanding a sure fire fix other than conversion to PNP Neg Gnd. Circuit.

the schematics I have used is already negative Gnd

petemoore

DAFT...I mean the 'other one...basic FF...dohh sorry...
 That's twice in about a week I mistyped about Neg Gnd Pnp FF.
 I didn't even try a NEG Gnd PnP FF, after all the threads/problems with that.
 I did try a few PNP Pos Gnd FF's, and have read plenty of happy build reports about these.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Steben

The FF is a "tone sucker" (low input impedance - high guitar impedance), which makes it a high-off filter as well as a distorter. The hifger the fuzz level, the more trademark FF it sounds.
Maybe the higher fuzz setiing brings in so much harmonics it sounds brighter, while at low gain settings there is still enough gain to speak of a "distorted" sound.
Try putting a "buffer" between the fuzz and the guitar (eg.: a low level clean channel), I guess the fuzz pot should be more usefull.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them