battery sugestions?

Started by barret77, April 25, 2005, 12:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barret77

Hi

I need to buy some 9v batteries - mainly for effects.

1) Is alkaline the best choice for all kinds of effects? Does the common ones contribute with any mojo?

2) Is there any brand recommendation? Any good discount online store on the US?

thanks for any info...

Try ultralife lithium batteries if you want long shelf life and large capacity.  Should be cheaper in the long run.

i have never noticed a big difference between batteries.  The only thing i can tell a difference is between a fresh battery and one that has been used for awhile (or nearly dying).

bwanasonic

When I first built my germanium Fuzz Face, I sat and swapped back & forth between carbon and alkaline batteries and convinced myself I liked carbon ones better. Hardly a scientific test, and I have my doubts I could pick out the difference in a double-blind test. There are really only a few effects where a difference is alleged, but the Fuzz Face is the main one that is mentioned . I have also heard claims that a phase 45/ DOD 201 sounds better with carbon batteries. There a so many ways to improve your sound by just praticing guitar, that I stopped worrying about things like battery differences. Better off spending time playing than comparing batteries.

Kerry M

robotboy

Walgreens is awesome for cheap batteries. They have a deal where you get two six packs for $7. That's twelve nine volt batteries for SEVEN DOLLARS!!! You can get mojo crazy all you want; however, 9V is 9V IMO, and I'd rather be spending my money on parts to build more pedals.

bwanasonic

Quote from: robotboyhowever, 9V is 9V IMO, and I'd rather be spending my money on parts to build more pedals.

FWIW - the *mojo* factor from carbon/zinc in a Fuzz Face is thought to be a result of the internal impedance of the battery vs. an alkaline. IOW - it's not about a difference in voltage per se. For my FF, I use the cheap Walgreen's batteries that robotboy mentioned. I run virtually everything else from Virtual Sound 1-Spots.

Kerry M

barret77

great! next stop, Wallgreen.
Thanks!