Why does a vero build sound so good ?

Started by MartyMart, April 25, 2005, 05:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davebungo

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: WGTP

Some times you can measure a difference, but can it be heard?

Are some peoples ears more sensitive to phase of pitch or harmonics or direction, etc.   8)

Perhaps so, I just "mastered" the new "Melanie B" album in my studio,
( 8th mastering job )  so yes I have "good ears" but in this case I needed ear plugs !!  :lol:

Marty.
Why don't you get off your arse and find yourself some meaningful employment?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: WGTPSome times you can measure a difference, but can it be heard?

Are some peoples ears more sensitive to phase of pitch or harmonics or direction, etc.   8)

In the world of popular music and especially rock, it starts to become a bit like asking a bunch of professional arc welders to find Waldo.  At some point, they probably have so many dead spots on their retina from those times when the welder's mask didn't come down quite fast enough, that they can't tell the difference between details and dead spots (I still see "flies" buzzing around the room from my days arc welding for my dad over 30 years ago).  Similarly, a great many musicians (and younger people who do lots of earphone listening in general) have so much hearing loss that sometimes it seems as if the only folks qualified to detect such minute audio differences would be those with absolutely no interest in listening to music whatsoever.

There USED to be a time when cathode ray tubes reliably cranked out a 15.75khz whine that one could use as sort of the dividing line between those with and without hearing loss.  If I asked students in my classes if they could hear it, a great many couldn't.  Of course, now with 75khz monitors such a question is moot.

To answer your question, it may be less a question of anyone having *special* abilities as much as a question of people having gradations of hearing loss or things that take away from "normal" hearing.

R.G.

QuoteTo answer your question, it may be less a question of anyone having *special* abilities as much as a question of people having gradations of hearing loss or things that take away from "normal" hearing.
In support, I have personally known people who truly did have the special ability to hear things that other people could not hear and sometimes see things that other people could not see.

Often, such people are admired and respected, kept in special houses at public expense and provided a living, entertainment, special clothing, free medical care, and other benefits in recognition of their special gifts.

All a matter of degree, I guess.

:D  :D
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

radio

R G

Where I live it s a matter of relations/relatives

whether they LIVE at government expenses

or are PAID by government to use their

habilities.The truth is out there!
:shock:

Greetings

JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Paul Marossy

QuoteIn support, I have personally known people who truly did have the special ability to hear things that other people could not hear and sometimes see things that other people could not see.

I have known a few people with golden ears. Probably has more to do more with pitch than being able to hear a 24kHz audio signal...  8)

Kilby

Ermm, back to the point ?

With the strip/vero board business, I think the differing layout may make a difference.

Having played about with other peoples PCBs and then laying out the same effect in a smaller space (you know the score), and to me they did sound 'slightly' different.

Perhaps it's simply a better layout regarding signal paths, OK it won't be as critical as high voltage / high frequency circuits, but we do know that circuit paths do make a huge difference there.

As for astrology, they had an astrologer on the BBC (I think it was the Jools Holland Hootanany,) and the astrologer said that the 10th planet had a 'huge influance' on people.

Well with the 10th planet having such a strong influence how could they have ever claimed any accuracy previously ?

I feel the same thing is true of the audiophile, I'm sure that they are also unable to hear a gnats fart, just like I can't.

The thing is that they have no technical knowledge but they DO talk down to technical people.

Just like business managers.

Love n peace

Kilby...

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe thing is that they have no technical knowledge but they DO talk down to technical people.

That's because they have more money to waste than the average joe on "audiophile" equipment. After all, they have to justify the amount of money they spent, you know.  :wink:

Kilby

[quote="Paul Marossy
That's because they have more money to waste than the average joe on "audiophile" equipment. After all, they have to justify the amount of money they spent, you know.  :wink:[/quote]

Miaow ! Pass that saucer of milk quick ;)

well said sir !

It's the same in all walks of life, I was always able (in my younger days) to hear the whine of CRTs, the mess dolby made of recordings and I could also tell if bats where around (on a quiet night). Unfortinutely this didn't translate to musical ability :(

Yet people who listened to Level 42, Phil Collins and Madonna tried to lecture me regarding sound reproduction, when my measureably better ears could easily tell that any system playing these 'artists' would produce poor quality output ;)

However my hearing is probably shot, along with everything else these days (especially my mind).

However I can conceive that there are good and bad layouts for components, and squashing too many into too small a space may be a bad idea, except for very large commercial mfgrs who will save on materials and don't give a damn about audio quality.

As they say "Opinions are like ass**les everybody, has one and they all stink" (except mine of course which smells of violets)

Kilby...

Oh Yeah and the vague musical content:

The new Squire Esprit sounds nice through a Fender Blues Jr (it plays pretty damned nice too), I'm thinking of getting one and adding a couple of Bare Knuckle Mule humbuckers.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Dunno about mojo but the guitar I played with them installed sounded so sweet, and I had played it before they where fitted.