Pcb Express, need help!!!

Started by tatems, April 25, 2005, 08:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatems

I just installed pcb express and was trying to make a few pcbs. I read the part about the link schematic function and tried it but it didn't work.

I made a really simple schematic and then went to pcb express and put all the components in and linked the schematic with no problems, but then when i tried to do the linking thing with the button down on the left hand side nothing happend, i didn't get any highlighted parts. I then saw the little toolbar thing with the play symbol and pressed that. It told me to highlight the diffrent pins of the circuit but it won't let me.

Any ideas??
It is I, Murdock the Mind Stealer

moosapotamus

Check the 'HELP' file in ExpressPCB. The whole 'linking thing' is a bit tedious, but it can be helpful if you're just learning to do PCB layouts, as well as with bigger projects once you get it set-up.

You may need to make sure that there are no netlist errors in your schematic. Click 'check schematic for netlist errors' on the 'FILE' menu. When you do that, it will tell you what to do. Most likely, you will need to assign pin numbers to some of the components in your schematic. Again, the 'HELP; file is helpful here. Don't link your schematic to the PCB until there are no netlist errors in your schematic.

After you've made sure there are no netlist errors, go place all the components that are in your scheme into your PCB. Then link them. Click on that button down on the left-hand side (highlight net connections). Then, click on a pad in your PCB. All the pads that connect to that pad should be highlighted. Click on a different pad, and the highlights should change appropriately.

Not exactly an autorouter, but helpful none the less.

Hope that helps.
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

bwanasonic

Quote from: moosapotamus
You may need to make sure that there are no netlist errors in your schematic.

ExpressPCB warns you if try to link to a schematic with errors. Not sure what's going on, but if you'd like, you can DL the following zip:

www.bwanasonic.com/circuits/fetzer_rev1.zip

It's a confirmed schematic and pcb for the ROG Fetzer that might have some educational value.

Kerry M