Keeley vs Analogman???

Started by pjackso, April 25, 2005, 09:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjackso

I'm not much of a builder yet but I figured this would be the place to ask about these two modders.  I'm on the fence on which one I should send my TS-9 to.  Keeley uses the Malaysian made TI RC4558P chip and Analogman seems to use the reissue JRC4558D (although for an extra $10.00 he will use a New Old Stock JRC4558D).
My impression so far is that Keeley seems to be catering to the Rock guys where Analogman seems to get the blues players.
I play a mix of blues and jazz so I'm leaning towards Analogman right now.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you.
:D

MartyMart

Hi,
Well there will be virtually "zero" audible difference between those chips and quite honestly 10 bucks for an "new/old" one is taking the piss!

I'm sure you could install an 8 pin socket in yours, then try some chips
out, from a 4558 to an NE5532 or OPA2134 .... THEN you will here some
changes.
Three caps and a few resistors later, you'll have an "808" with hair on it !

With some help from us here, you can do that for about 7 bucks !!

Regards,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ian87

Quote from: MartyMartHi,
Well there will be virtually "zero" audible difference between those chips and quite honestly 10 bucks for an "new/old" one is taking the piss!

I'm sure you could install an 8 pin socket in yours, then try some chips
out, from a 4558 to an NE5532 or OPA2134 .... THEN you will here some
changes.
Three caps and a few resistors later, you'll have an "808" with hair on it !

With some help from us here, you can do that for about 7 bucks !!

Regards,
Marty.

+1 to everything marty said. modding a TS is a great way to get started in DIY! i'll even send you a (new) 4558 for the price of postage. :)

ibanezts808

+1

If you're going to be a diyer, then don't waste the money.  I mod my ts9 all the time for different things, mainly just trying to find a good balance between high and low.  I may even alter the clipping stages to add more clip.  But why pay so much for a commonly used alteration?  I mean anyone who has ta ts9 has either a stock, or one of those mods.  I think it better to design it to your own specs. that way it sounds the way YOU want, not the way analog or keeley thought sounded good(with all respect to analogman and robert keeley).  It just makes more sense.  Welcome to diy, i'm also a huge beinner.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

bwanasonic

I don't begrudge either R. Keeley or Mike, and wish them continued success. BUT this is a DIY forum :) If you are at all prone to using a soldering iron, by all means mod your own pedal. Put a socket in for the IC, do the *808* resistor swap, replace the NP 1uf electrolytics with metal film caps. Read the geofex *technology of * article ( actually do this first! ).  If you are a working musician that can't be bothered to learn which end of the soldering iron to hold, then either Keeley or Analogman provide a valuable service.  

Kerry M

Melanhead

Quote from: ibanezts808+1

If you're going to be a diyer, then don't waste the money.  I mod my ts9 all the time for different things, mainly just trying to find a good balance between high and low.  I may even alter the clipping stages to add more clip.  But why pay so much for a commonly used alteration?  I mean anyone who has ta ts9 has either a stock, or one of those mods.  I think it better to design it to your own specs. that way it sounds the way YOU want, not the way analog or keeley thought sounded good(with all respect to analogman and robert keeley).  It just makes more sense.  Welcome to diy, i'm also a huge beinner.

Exactly! ... Everyone's tastes are different ... It's best to learn the signal path of the pedal and know what to change to get what you want... It's amazing how much fun you can have discovering YOUR tone ... I haven't modded my way to the tone in my head yet but maybe someday :)

mlabbee

I have put two identical ts-9 clones side by side and A/Bed every dual op amp I could get my hands on - from Burr Browns to various forms of the 4558.  I couldn't hear a bit of difference between the sound of any of them.  Save your $$.

Incidentally, doing the A/B thing is critical.  My first attempt to do the comparison consisted of using one clone and changing out op amps - when I did that, I thought I heard significant differences between op amps.  The mind is a funny thing . . .

If anyone has a decent recording set-up, it might be fun to record a dry guitar signal and then process the clip through a TS clone with multiple op amps - I'd be curious to hear the results of that and it might lay this issue to rest once and for all.

object88

I just reread the Technology Of The Tube Screamer this weekend.  Very informative, esp. the bit regarding the JRC chips.  Can't recommend those articles enough.  Read that article even if you're determined to have Analogman or Keeley do the mod.

ninoman123

Analogman vs. Keeley. I'd pay to see that.  Soldering iron of deathhhhh.

saultime

That would kinda be like an EVEN NERDIER version of iron chef america.

I did the buildyourownclone kit, and it turned out wonderful. I perfer the TI chip...i can hear a small difference. It's a bit more "open" and dynamic sounding...maybe :lol:

ocelot

I bought a Keeley RAT once and used it once it was quite unusable and emails werent ever replied to. Hence I found this forum and fixed it myself.

However I wouldnt mind a Time Machine Boost !!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: bwanasonicI don't begrudge either R. Keeley or Mike, and wish them continued success. BUT this is a DIY forum :) If you are at all prone to using a soldering iron, by all means mod your own pedal. Put a socket in for the IC, do the *808* resistor swap, replace the NP 1uf electrolytics with metal film caps. Read the geofex *technology of * article ( actually do this first! ).  If you are a working musician that can't be bothered to learn which end of the soldering iron to hold, then either Keeley or Analogman provide a valuable service.  

Kerry M

Absolutely.  If you are a touring musician without any inclination towards the technical, nor any counterspace to work on, the fifty or sixty bucks it costs to have either of these folks mod your pedal is a WHOLE lot cheaper and faster than learning how to do it yourself and purchasing the equipment.

But if you CAN do it, or feel there is value in learning how, by all means do it.  Not at all different than going out to a pricey restaurant that makes food you don't know how to prepare or lack the kitchen tools to do.  Thirty bucks is always cheaper than buying a wok, a gas range, rice wine, sesame oil, lemon grass, etc.

analogmike

Quote from: ninoman123Analogman vs. Keeley. I'd pay to see that.  Soldering iron of deathhhhh.

Todays secret ingredient....

MOSFETS!!!!

See what the chefs will make now!!!!

after the battle...

celebrity guests:

Susanna Hoffs : "the analog man MOSBOOST is very smooth and warm with my Rickenbackr, yummy!"

Mike : "I used to love when you walked like an Egyptian, you were yummy"

Rick Springfield: "The Keeley makes me forget about Jessie's girl"

Robert : "Sir, thank you sir!"
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

petemoore

ITC of the TS, having a TC, some services rendered from afar might be just what the Dr. Ordered. But I don't put All my faith in what Dr.s order...necessarily.
 *Zakk Cct. Chuckles about TS and the A/B test.
 *TS's and their market values...lol
 IF you want to try TS's out, why don't you assemble a board?...After doing the reading...Check out GEO "Technology of the Tube Screamer"
 The problem I have with TS's is I've found some of it's more recently concieved cousins work better for me, and that dern 'can't find' tone pot.
  picked over what the rest of your signal chain is like.  
 This will be an investment in time and some money on startup.
 I'd hafta say I like having sockets where they're >supposed to be, it sure helps rule out bad OA or input capacitor re-valuation for instance.
 I like to ask about the rest of the signal chain...lol...cables, amp, guitar...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

loscha

Quoteirocn chef america

shut your mouth!
the original language Japanese series is the only way to go!
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

Doug_H

Quote from: MartyMartHi,

Actually, in the same circuit I do hear a difference between the TI and JRC chips. The TI sounds more gainy to me, whereas the JRC is softer in a way.

No difference between new issue and "vintage" JRC chips as far as I can tell though.

Doug

pjackso

Thanks for all of the insight but I barely have time to play let alone learn how to mod my own pedals.  Maybe when my kids are older...
I have decided to go with Analogman.  I'm going to get his "Silver Mod".
Mike just sounds more like the real deal than Keeley.  I've heard Keeley trash talk Mike so many times yet I haven't heard Mike say anything negative against Keeley at all... :wink:

MartyMart

Quote from: pjacksoThanks for all of the insight but I barely have time to play let alone learn how to mod my own pedals.  Maybe when my kids are older...
I have decided to go with Analogman.  I'm going to get his "Silver Mod".
Mike just sounds more like the real deal than Keeley.  I've heard Keeley trash talk Mike so many times yet I haven't heard Mike say anything negative against Keeley at all... :wink:

My original answer was not intended as a "knock" to either party, other
than that price for a chip !!!
They are both very good at what they do and its true, lots of guitarists
dont have a clue which end of an iron is which !!
Actually "RK" has been very helpful to me, he gave me mod information
and some "tips" about what to look for over 2 years ago !
Very friendly and always replied to emails.

If you are not confident/dont have time then I'm sure you will get a great
sounding "TS" back in the post.

Doug,
perhaps you're right on the chip "sound"  I just think its more pronounced
when changing to an OPA or NE5532, in particular from the awful T75558p  !!

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

pjackso

Just wondering if anyone has tried running a TS-9 with a 12V adapter? I hear it really cleans up the signal...
Is it true that you can safely run a 9V pedal with up to 16V?

MartyMart

Quote from: pjacksoJust wondering if anyone has tried running a TS-9 with a 12V adapter? I hear it really cleans up the signal...
Is it true that you can safely run a 9V pedal with up to 16V?

That is possible, what you have to check is that all the caps are rated
at 16volts or higher.
If there are any 10volt caps they will "blow up"  !!
The op-amp etc will be fine at 12volts
Open her up and take a look, as I dont remember off hand if there's any
10v caps in there....

Marty. 8)