DIY synth sites similar to Tonepad or GGG?????

Started by Wild Zebra, April 25, 2005, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Zebra

I know some of you guys are into synths and since I've been getting into building stompboxes I've been wondering if there is a similar realm for synth modules.  Like the music from outerspace site nice layouts and part diagrams.  I'd like to start by building the mini synth, but eventually I'd like to go modular.  Most of the sites I've seen only show schematics.
Always been into synths have had a couple hardwired monophonic. Always thought it'd be cool to have a modular and alot of the kits aren't cheap.  And I already have alot of parts stock.  Blah blah

anyway just wondering

"your stripes are killer bro"

maximee

you can also make the soundlab minisynth modular...
i'm currently building the normal version!

Wild Zebra

keep me updated
did you order or make the board?
usually I make my boards but that seems like a hell of a lot
of drilling the parts placement is a plus.

Soon as I get some scratch I'll order one seems like
those guys deserve the loot for all their hard work

Tim Escobedo

Try http://musicsynthesizer.com. Mostly DIY stuff, but some of the links might have kits.

There used to be a guy named Tom Gamble that did a array of synth modules in board/kit form. Problem is that his designs often seemed to have small bugs, small enough that a examination of the schem would look kosher, but a actual build would reveal flaws. Add to the mix that he seemed to revise designs every other week. And to top it off, he was a bit thin skinned about criticism and would pull everything offline in a fit, only to bring back the line new and improved. Occasionally, he'd make some grandiose claims about such and such manufacturers stealing his designs. After following this drama for a couple years, I bowed out. I don't know if he still offers stuff for sale.
His boards would be OK if you are good at troubleshooting potential problems on your own.

maximee

i made the board myself which was a PITA.
only having a slow broken electric screwdriver to drill holes doesnt make things easier :)
but the board is done, today i started populating it...
next week my 100k pots will arrive and i'll hopefully find time to fire it up.
i'm pretty scared of what to do when it won't work though.........too many components.

when it works i'm gonna put it in an old metal ammo box! i'll also add the "one chip sample+hold" from musicfromouterspace.com

unfortunately i still have no clue where to get the ICs...

Wild Zebra

I thought there was a link on the website that had a parts list which included mouser and digikey part #'s
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab_price_break_down.htm

looks like you gotta get from mouser and digikey

maximee

well i live in germany. i don't want to order in the states when i don't have to... i'll have to look around here...