securing loose PCBs and stuff in enclosures

Started by ian87, April 25, 2005, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ian87

i know that this has been discussed at length, but a quick search didn't turn up a whole lot of useful info. so i'm askin' again. :)

i'm rehousing a Dano Tuna Melt for a friend, and i'm trying to sort out a way to secure it in its new home (1590B). the tricky part is the PCB-mounted pots and switch. none of these is threaded, so there's no chance to secure them to the new enclosure that way.

i'd prefer not to do the usual "wedge it in there w/ cardboard and other random stuff that's sitting on the workbench" method, and 2-sided tape doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in me either. anyone have a better idear?

many thanks,
ian

ninoman123

Hot glue! Or how bout just replacing the pots/switch with ones that do have threads....?

ian87

Quote from: ninoman123Or how bout just replacing the pots/switch with ones that do have threads....?
thought about it, but it would kinda be more trouble than it's worth, i think. the way the post are fixed to the board is especially strange in this pedal too.

but hot glue, ya say? tell me more... :)

Mouser sells nice alpha 9mm PC mounted pots.  They might fit right on the board, and they are threaded.  If i remember correctly, it is the 311-1901 series.

otherwise, using regular non-pc-mounted pots and wiring them up is probably the best bet.  

as for the pcb, i usually just use standoffs and hot glue.  or you can just use hotglue and glue it right on the back of the pots.

ian87

Quote from: 80kMouser sells nice alpha 9mm PC mounted pots.  They might fit right on the board, and they are threaded.  If i remember correctly, it is the 311-1901 series.

otherwise, using regular non-pc-mounted pots and wiring them up is probably the best bet.  

as for the pcb, i usually just use standoffs and hot glue.  or you can just use hotglue and glue it right on the back of the pots.

how to tell when you're a serious DIYer: when you can recite Mouser part numbers from memory...   :D

thanks!

mrsage

Hey ian--

How did you wire that tuna melt up?

Did you wire it for "always on" and build a 3PDT around it? Did you replace the pots or leave the original ones in there?