Help with Bipolar PS

Started by CS Jones, April 25, 2005, 04:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Jones

Ever since Jack's Whisper Compressor surfaced again I've been excited about reworking my bipolar power supply and building a board dedicated to bipolars.

The spare parts have been lying around here literally for years. I want to redo it this time using spare dc jacks instead of the original 1/4" stereo jacks. I've got an excess of these non insulated dc jacks and I'd like to isolate them from the chassis via SmallBear Steve's bondo method and use them up.

Can someone help me think this through?

Here's the board (inside the box). The other ps is a bipolar variable 30v for another project.

The one inside the box is right out of EPFM. The right hand side (vertical) row of sip sockets are for the +9v and the bottom (horizontal) row of sockets are for the -9v. The 3 sips in the center are for the CT/ground/chassis connections.

I want to use 2 dc jacks per pedal instead of the the stereo 1/4". I plan on running the +9v into one jack and the -9v into another with the ground daisychained between the two coming from the board ground. I've got 5 pedals that need the bipolar supply so there will be 10 dc jacks at the supply box and then 2 dc jacks at each of the 5 pedals for another total of 10. I'd like to keep the PS box as small as possible but I'm already running out of room.

This configuration only gives me enough for 3 pedals but I might be able to fit 2 more pedals worth somehow.

The reason for the tightness is because the only other box size I've got right now is this "C" sized monster. I don't know why I bought this big box come to think of it now. I could probably eat my dinner from it. It's big enough to stuff everything into but I want to conserve space.

Does anyone see any problems ahead with running the +9 and -9 volt leads into each pedal through different jacks? Specifically grounding wise. At the pedal the PS ground will be daisychained between the 2 dc jacks and then run to the pedal circuit ground and the pedal circuit will be grounded at it's own chassis.

Also can I get away with a non fused PT primary and/or a 2 pronged non safety ground primary cord?

Thank you,
Clay