Torchy's AMz minibooster layout ...

Started by Melanhead, April 25, 2005, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

Was going to build it for fun and wondering if the only difference is the 3.3uf cap ( from Orman's schematic ... ) is replace with a 10uf cap... ???

if so, why the change ?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I didn't find anything doing a search ...

Torchy

My Minibooster layout shows a 1uF NP cap.  :?:

You need to relate the vero layout to the schematic, I used the same component numbers.

Jack said on the minibooster page :-

QuoteIf you want a less heavy sound, decrease C2 to 1uF or even 0.47uF

Melanhead

ahh yes! ... i think I was half asleep when I wrote this :) ...

It's C6 on the layout I was refering to ... after looking at the schematic and layout again I now realize this is an extra cap on jacks schematic but not on JD's which caused the confusion in the first place !

Thanks man ...

gotdabluz

According to Jack . . . well . . . at least the notes on his website:

http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm

"Delete the C6 capacitor to reduce gain - there is plenty of gain without it"

The schem on the GGG site does not have C6, though it does have the 3.3uf at C2

so . . . it is optional . . . on Torchy's vero layout, you can just leave it out

--SG

Melanhead

Cool ... I'm assuming you mean C6 is optional ... C2 is a 1uf cap on Torchy's layout as he kindly pointed out :)

gotdabluz

sorry . . . wasn't clear on that  :oops:

C6 is 'optional' . . . that is, you can eliminate C6 at the cost of some reduced gain . . . though as Jack stated, there is plenty without it

C6 is not in the GGG layout

C2 will affect the overall 'girth' of the circuit's tone . . . a lower value (0.47-1uf) will sound less 'heavy' whilst a higher value (3.3uf) will sound 'heavier'

you might want to breadboard this since it is such a simple circuit and try the different options and values out . . . in fact . . . I think I am going to go do just that  :wink:

best of luck!
--SG

seanm

Quote from: TorchyMy Minibooster layout shows a 1uF NP cap.
I also prefer the sound of the minibooster with a 1uF cap. I used a ceramic cap, which is cheaper and much easier to get than a NP.

gotdabluz

Quote from: seanm
Quote from: TorchyMy Minibooster layout shows a 1uF NP cap.
I also prefer the sound of the minibooster with a 1uF cap. I used a ceramic cap, which is cheaper and much easier to get than a NP.

even better is one of those little yellow AVX box caps . . . they are metal film (non-polarized), small footprint and are far superior to ceramic IMNSHO . . . Mouser sells them . . . 1uf for about 50 cents

--SG

Melanhead

I built it last night and left C6 out but may put it on a switch for fun ... I ended up using a 1uf Panasonic cap for C2 ... Sounds great! ...

thanks ...

gotdabluz

Quote from: MelanheadI built it last night and left C6 out but may put it on a switch for fun ... I ended up using a 1uf Panasonic cap for C2 ... Sounds great! ...

thanks ...

wow . . .  that 1uf Panasonic must be huge!

Melanhead

nope ... they're very small metal film ... very common round here .... same one's used in the Keeley mods and many others because they sound great and are small.

gotdabluz

Quote from: Melanheadnope ... they're very small metal film ... very common round here .... same one's used in the Keeley mods and many others because they sound great and are small.

hmmm . . . maybe I should check those out . . . do you have a model #?
. . . are they those ECQ-V stacked meta film types?

my only complaint with the AVX box types is that the leads are very short . . . the caps are very very small, but the 1/8" leads make them a little difficult to work with sometimes . . . you have to tape them to the component side of the board before flipping it over to solder them, and you obviously can't span more than or less than two holes at standard spacing

Melanhead

Quote from: gotdabluz
Quote from: Melanheadnope ... they're very small metal film ... very common round here .... same one's used in the Keeley mods and many others because they sound great and are small.

hmmm . . . maybe I should check those out . . . do you have a model #?
. . . are they those ECQ-V stacked meta film types?

my only complaint with the AVX box types is that the leads are very short . . . the caps are very very small, but the 1/8" leads make them a little difficult to work with sometimes . . . you have to tape them to the component side of the board before flipping it over to solder them, and you obviously can't span more than or less than two holes at standard spacing

Yup .... see above post by Fretwire ... I ordered a bunch of different values from Digikey. I'm in Canada and still got 'em in less than a week.