Which Distortion to build?

Started by critch, April 26, 2005, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critch

nice! i was worried there...i dont trust myself when working with such things!
and will this pedal do for my needs? that is playing metal, Nu-Metal and Death Metal....(i cant get these sounds from my amp!)

vanhansen

Quote from: critchnice! i was worried there...i dont trust myself when working with such things!
and will this pedal do for my needs?

It might.  You may want to try the HMP that RDV posted links to earlier as well.  Check out the Blackfire as well, it's a good high gain circuit too.  We can say "yeah, that'll work great" but it's all subjective to the player.  We both play metal (different types though) but you like the distortion, I prefer good sounding overdrive (e.g. Zakk Wylde).

Take a few circuits (2 or 3), build them and then decide which one suits your style.  If the ones you don't choose still work great even though they wouldn't make it to your pedalboard, well, at least you got some great DIY experience and a few extra pedals to keep around.  :D
Erik

critch

i see ur point vanhasen...but i did hear a clip of it b4, ill have to have a look for it...and i thought it was quite cool.
And can anyone give any songs that sound like the BSIAB II?
thanks

nelson

You want a really bassy chuggy distortion, any ultra gain pedal will work fine aslong as it has a good EQ section, You could use an EQ pedal if you have one, for this type of stuff I use an EQ pedal designed for bass guitar followed by normal guitar EQ and a proco rat. Guitar Tuned to drop C.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

critch

OK, so i can use my boss eq pedal and my BSIAB II(when i make it) to get some cool sounds?

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

critch

nice, will try and build this weekend, the box will be the hardest thing to get, plus i only have a budget of £20, but it will get me started...until i get a box

nelson

http://www.rshelectronics.co.uk are very cheap for resistors and caps, i bought all their res/cap packs, back in march, very worthwhile.

Maplin is very expensive compared to buying from US stockists like aron and his switches/trannies/diodes. http://www.smallbearelec.com is good for rare parts. or in europe http://www.banzaieffects.com although banzai is more expensive given the exchange rate.

hope this helps and good luck with your build.

The boxes from small bear are much cheaper than you can get anywhere in the UK and he is very reasonable when it comes to shipping.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

critch

well i was just gonna go down to my local shop and get everything i could, and maplins for the rest...u reckon my £20 will stretch?

nelson

Nope  :twisted:  No way, not a chance. you can barely get a 3pdt switch in the uk for less than 15 pounds.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

critch

Quote from: nelsonNope  :twisted:  No way, not a chance. you can barely get a 3pdt switch in the uk for less than 15 pounds.
i hope ur taking the pi*s!so how much did u lot spend on ur BSIAB II's? UK prices prefered...
Im thinking of buy a ready made PCB from the GGG too, anyone know how much this will cost in total, shipping included.
And can anyone reccomend a good site to get all of the components i need cheaply(but quality)?
thanks

MartyMart

There is a BSIAB II "strip-board" layout in "Torchys" layout folder above
in the layouts gallery.
There's also a "Blackfire" in my gallery.
Both are fantastic "metal" distortion circuits.
You can buy a strip of board in "Maplins" for this, for about £2.99
It will be enough for both pedals and a bit spare.
If you forget the "LED" on the pedal for now, then a DPDT footswitch will
cost about £4 - £5 .
Easier to wire up and when its "on" you will know !! ( loud gtr )
That is available from some of the suggested sites in this thread.
An aluminium enclosure is about £4 - £7, depends on where you get it.
Also buying for one project is more expensive than buying for 10 !!
aron has 3DPDT's here on the site for about £7.50 each
Hope that helps,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

critch

yeh thanks marty, does help A LOT! im thinking about buying the PCB from GGG, forgetting about the LED indicator, coz i think it will mess up the look of my pedal 8)
and i think ill get cracking next weekend, coz im skint, and only have a budget of £20 at the moment.
And can anyone give a comparison between the BSIAB II and line6's Uber Metal pedal? my aim is to get arch enemy(and such...) type sounds. coz i have all the rest from my amp...
thanks

j0shua

Hmmm for New Builders are many simple distortion box here is a list

Aron Nelson Smash Drive ( Very Good )
MXR Distortion +   ( What can i say about this little unit ?)
Big Daddy ( Very cool distortion only some items to run , great for solos )

and many more ..... Also you can check my WWW and select your taste!

RDV

Quote from: critchyeh thanks marty, does help A LOT! im thinking about buying the PCB from GGG, forgetting about the LED indicator, coz i think it will mess up the look of my pedal 8)
and i think ill get cracking next weekend, coz im skint, and only have a budget of £20 at the moment.
And can anyone give a comparison between the BSIAB II and line6's Uber Metal pedal? my aim is to get arch enemy(and such...) type sounds. coz i have all the rest from my amp...
thanks
I just checked out that band you keep talking about, and...I don't think you're gonna be too happy with the BSIAB2. I really don't think death metal is it's forte. The ubermetal is probably gonna get you closer to what you're after. I personally don't think that any pedal's gonna get that sound. Tune low, use big strings, and play as fast as you can through a KRANK amp would be my advice.

RDV

critch

Quote from: RDV
Quote from: critchyeh thanks marty, does help A LOT! im thinking about buying the PCB from GGG, forgetting about the LED indicator, coz i think it will mess up the look of my pedal 8)
thanks
I just checked out that band you keep talking about, and...I don't think you're gonna be too happy with the BSIAB2. I really don't think death metal is it's forte. The ubermetal is probably gonna get you closer to what you're after. I personally don't think that any pedal's gonna get that sound. Tune low, use big strings, and play as fast as you can through a KRANK amp would be my advice.

RDV
i guess...and death metal is so cool to play! such a mix of palm muting and alternate picking, and such....
so what pedal would u suggest for Death Metal? and what type of bands use this sorta sound?BSIAB II sound i mean.

RDV

We'll try this again.

I personally don't think that any pedal's gonna get that sound. Tune low, use big strings, and play as fast as you can through a KRANK amp would be my advice.

RDV

critch

Quote from: RDVWe'll try this again.

I personally don't think that any pedal's gonna get that sound. Tune low, use big strings, and play as fast as you can through a KRANK amp would be my advice.

RDV
i know! i asked what pedals u lot suggest for death metal. :)

RDV

This one!

:wink:

Seriously, I'm way too old to know much about death metal, the BSIAB2 is a great distortion though(I have one on my board), and may work well for what you're after(as would my HMP).

RDV

critch

hmm,  not very DIY man, but a nice suggestion nonetheless
any pedals?