Which Distortion to build?

Started by critch, April 26, 2005, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

The reason(or one of them) that I decided to design(with considerable help from the board) my HMP was that I didn't feel there was much in the way of a DIY pedal geared toward "heavy" music styles(there've been a few more added since then). I wanted a pedal that had a ton of punishing drive and adjustable low-end. I think I accomplished my goal, though it's not a real easy build.

If you've not built any pedals yet, I would strongly suggest starting out simply, or you're quite liable to get frustrated before you even get started. A good booster such as the one in the beginner forum can go a long way toward getting a good heavy sound if you crank it up into the lead channel of your amp.

RDV

critch

nah, im set on a heavy pedal, but i reckon that the BSIAB II will suit my needs, for some fat metal riffs, amazing lead tones, etc,etc...

hilbi

imo the bsiab II is not a metal pedal, certainly no nu metal or death metal pedal. It is more a seventies/early eithies hardrock pedal. PLexi like.

Pedal sugestion for metal: hughes and kettner warp factor? I'm not sure if  the schematic is available somewhere.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

critch

so is there a metal pedal i can build?

MartyMart

Quote from: critchso is there a metal pedal i can build?

Critch,
You're not listening to RDV !!
Try his "HMP"  - BTW it stands for "HEAVY METAL PEDAL"   :roll:  :roll:

Just use the "search" above and type in HMP ......

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

critch

sorry,  :oops:, im was a bit tired yesterday, but i will also look that up!
thanks!
btw, is the BSIAB II used for sounds like motorhead, ace of spades?

vanhansen

You can use whatever you like when playing anything.  I played Motorhead just by plugging straight in to my Marshall and cranking it up.  Perfect tone for it.  It's not just a matter of what you have on your pedalboard but "how" you use it.

My pedalboard consists of 4 pedals: wah, zw-44, phase 90, chorus.  I play all sorts of styles and like to jam songs from many different bands, but I don't try to emulate their sound.  My sound is my own and since I got in to the DIY world, it has improved 100% with mods here and there.  So what I'm saying, don't worry about what to use to sound like this song or that song, but what sounds good to you and will work for you across the board.
Erik

lethargytartare

Dude, build a Smash Drive (haven't built the HMP, so no slight intended!) -- I suspect it'll get you where you want to be, but more important, it's a simple enough build that you can work out the DIY kinks on it, and if you don't like it, you'll have a point of reference to help people here steer you to something more tailored to your interests.  For example -- it's too saturated, too gainy, not gainy enough, etc....

Good luck!

ltt

Clipped

Hey Critch -

What do you use for amp/guitar/pickups/tuning?

Like RDV said, some big strings and drop tuning will get you a little more toward the sound you're after. I use 10s or 11s on my standard tuned guitar and 12s on one "devoted" to a drop tuning, a step and a half down (Low E becomes B). Using a light or med set for a seven string works good too if you go a step and a half down - just leave off the high e. If you play lead much, you may even want to try the Zakk Wlyde set that's huge on the bottom (A 60) and (10s I think) on the top.

The EQ that people mention is a big part too. Seems backward to this type of sound, but try ADDING a small amount of mids, you can hear when you get to "that point". Also, if you have a SS amp, try actually BACKING OFF on the gain just a little. My amp sounds fuller and heavier with the gain on 8 instead of 10.

Maybe even a nice booster/OD coupled with your current distortion would work (and easier/cheaper to build, although the clips I hear of the BSIAB II are pretty darn good). Black Label Society isn't exactly NU Metal sound, but it's a great heavy sound. He uses a JCM800, which is more what I call an AC/DC amp instead of metal, but with that OD on top if it, he gets a great heavy sound (Tuned down one step, with a drop).

Too bad it wasn't out of your budget at the moment, because an EMG 85 pickup would go a ways towards that sound too...I got a PAIR of them on ebay for $60!!

I know these suggestions aren't exactly in the DIY pedal realm, but if you combine them with a nice pedal you've made, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can come up with.

Good luck in whatever you build, and have fun!
Ron
To Each His Tone.

vanhansen

I bleed Black Label !!  :twisted:

Zakk's tone is so freakin' incredible.  Even when he's not tuned down to C it sounds great.  His rig is so simple it's ridiculous.  The EMG's in his Les Paul certainly help.  His tone is more classic metal to me but with more oomph to it.  More like a modern day Black Sabbath.

The beginner project is a nice booster and pushes my little solid state practice amp over the edge on the OD channel.  Haven't tried it with the Marshall yet but I'm sure I'll get similar results.
Erik

critch

ok, getting the picture now
and i use 10 gauge slinkies, double coils, standard tuning....line 6 spider II 112...pretty typical i guess...
and i will build the BSIAB II, it might not be death metal, but it will still go to good use, and will be a reference for when i get cracking on a death metal pedal :twisted:
ps, can anyone recomend a nice battery amp...? with a understandable vero layout, and something that will be small enough to clip to a belt....
thanks!

Clipped

CHeck out //www.runoffgroove.com for some of their small amps - Ruby, Big Daddy, etc. Very low parts count, and depending what you mount them in and use for a speaker, they can be pretty small.
They won't be metal amps, but they do have a pretty good amount of distortion/OD.

Do a search here on Ruby, etc. A lot of build ideas and information.

Ron

Or the stupidity box http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
Check out Joshua's designs too - alot of 386 chip based designs that may work as a 1/2 watt amp.
To Each His Tone.

critch

thanks clipped, and i dont want em to be simply metal amps! i need to improve my clean playing so badly!