What to use for BSIAB

Started by critch, April 26, 2005, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critch

Ok, im gonna build the BSIAB II pedal, but what compnents do i use? when i have a choice i mean.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/bom/bsiab2bm.txt
DPDT or 3PDT heavy duty foot switch, which one?
and should i change the input jack into one of those switch ones? so that the circuit will be off when its not in use.
And i want distortion like arch enemy(and similar bands) use...so should i use all 2N5457? thats what ive heard?
thanks
Any other advice when building the BSIAB II?

petemoore

DPDT for true bypass
 3PDT for TBpass w/ LED Indicator [the easy way]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

critch

ok, so ill use the 3PDT, coz i want an LED indicator....
and what about the 2N5457's? whats the difference when i use all 2N5457, and when i stick to what the schematics say?

mlabbee

Transistors are cheap!  Put in sockets and try the different combos that have been written up on this board - that's half the fun! :D

petemoore

I never tried but think those are nice Fet's.
 Sockets for Fets are nice cause they vary, unit to unit, and brand type.
 Should work fine !!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gotdabluz

I socketed mine and currently have all 2n5457's in it . . .

think Aron has a design called the Booster 2.5 which I believe is a forerunner to the BSIAB (cascaded miniboosta stages) . . . it uses all J201's

not a huge tonal difference between the 2n5457's and the J201's, though to my ears the 5457's are a little smoother

YMMV and since those FETs are so cheap, you can afford to experiment

you want to buy a bunch extra anyway, in case you accidently fry one or catch a piece that is a little wacky . . . I had one that screwed up the whole biasing of my circuit until I (with the help of petemoore and EdG) tracked it down and replaced it

best of luck
--SG

critch

ok, so ill just experiment....
and im thinking of using a DPDT instead of a 3DPT, it seems it will be MUCH cheaper. will this make the GGG schematics harder for someone like me?

Ed G.

You can use a dpdt, it will give you true bypass without the LED function. Not a big deal for most people.

Albert Kreuzer

You can still add a Millennium Bypass from www.geofex.com later (and keep the DPDT switch - I built several variations from R.G.'s site and they all work great.

Cheers,
Albert
Everything works until it doesn't.

critch

ok so im gonna ditch the 3DPT, and does anyone know if GGG are reliable for PCB's?thinking of ordering my BSIAB II PCB from em...
thanks

gotdabluz

I'm not gonna dis GGG . . . I've heard good things

but why not just get a piece of vero (stripboard) and use Torchy's layout?

I can verify that it works . . . my first build with his layout worked like a charm (except for that pesky jfet I mentioned) . . . and . . . if your components are a little oversized (fat film caps, etc), you can stretch the layout accordingly if necessary.

either way, I think you will be pleased with the circuit.

Good luck!!!
--SG

Hal

Aron sells 3pdt switches for like $6.50 or something like that.

The Carling DPDTs are like $8.  I hear bad things about the cheaper dpdt's, like the x-wings...

It might be cheaper to do 3p's in the end...

critch

ok, components sorted, but can anyone tell me what components can massively define the sound? im thinking of aading switches for some components, to make the pedal more versatile

syzygy

What is in Arch Enemy's guitar rack?  The BSIAB II is more of an Eddie Van Halen tone..  did you notice a similarity in their sounds?  I think Arch Enemy has a tighter, scooped mid sound for metal.

critch

i cant see any tone defining pedals, or distortion pedals in their equipment list.
and any van halen songs in particular?

syzygy

Quote from: critchand any van halen songs in particular?

Don't remember the name of the song, but check both clips on this thread to see what I'm talking about.  One of the clips is less EVH than the other, but part of one clip sounds like "Girl you got me..".  Also keep in mind that this guy was running his BSIAB through a Bogner Xtc preamp.  :shock:

critch

sure, but along with this pedal, i will also try and find a death metal pedal to build, both will go to very good use!

RDV

I still say that death metalers do NOT use pedals.

RDV

vanhansen

Quote from: syzygy
Quote from: critchand any van halen songs in particular?

Don't remember the name of the song, but check both clips on this thread to see what I'm talking about.  One of the clips is less EVH than the other, but part of one clip sounds like "Girl you got me..".  Also keep in mind that this guy was running his BSIAB through a Bogner Xtc preamp.  :shock:

It's "You Really Got Me".   :roll:    :D
Erik

vanhansen

Quote from: RDVI still say that death metalers do NOT use pedals.

RDV

There are a few commercial pedals out there, Digitech has 1 or 2.  But I tend to agree here somewhat though.  I'm not a death metal person but I would guess that some of the bigger players use rack mount systems.  Some of those racks got some seriously sickening gain.  I'm thinking Sepaltura, Napalm Death or Cannibal Corpse type sound.
Erik