What to use for BSIAB

Started by critch, April 26, 2005, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critch

Quote from: RDVI still say that death metalers do NOT use pedals.

RDV
your probably right...but i can still try!
I like nu-metal guitar playing too....

syzygy

Quote from: vanhansen
Quote from: syzygy
Quote from: critchand any van halen songs in particular?

Don't remember the name of the song, but check both clips on this thread to see what I'm talking about.  One of the clips is less EVH than the other, but part of one clip sounds like "Girl you got me..".  Also keep in mind that this guy was running his BSIAB through a Bogner Xtc preamp.  :shock:

It's "You Really Got Me".   :roll:    :D

Thanks, I can breathe again ;)

Critch:
Good luck on your tone search.  Just try as much equipment as you can, and remember the combination of guitar/preamp/amp/pickup/speaker/effect/mic-technique when you hit on sounds you like.  They are all important.

critch

thanks man, but i would like to point out that im not just after a death metal tone, i have a nice rock tone, blues etc, just not a death metal, or nu-metal one....
and does anyone know if the sound from a pedal will change if i send the signal through a load of switches? i just want to make some component values switchable...(i want 3 extra option, i have an OD/distortion one atm...but need another few)
thanks

RDV

One thing I've noticed about that particular sound is there almost seems to be two different types of distortion at the same time. There seems to be an overdrive kind of sound to the lows and low-mids, and a fizzy fuzzy sort of thing going on in the highs. All this at the same time a sort of super-tight compression going on at the same time.

With this in mind is how I approached putting together the HMP, having a feedback-loop clipper(for the OD aspect) driving a diode-to-ground clipper(for the fizzy distortion part), and then a tunable parametric bass/mid control, followed by a treble roll-off.

Did I succeed? Well, yes and no. Through a SS amp, I think it works to near perfection. Through a tube amp, it seems to compress the front-end too much. Don't get me wrong, it still rocks(I use it every night I play for the heavier stuff we play), but I wanted perfection. I can't have it. Oh well!

Check the samples for Digitech's Death Metal pedal, they sound pretty cool! http://www.digitech.com/products/DeathMetal.htm

RDV

syzygy

Quote from: critchand does anyone know if the sound from a pedal will change if i send the signal through a load of switches? i just want to make some component values switchable...(i want 3 extra option, i have an OD/distortion one atm...but need another few)

No, it won't change the tone unless your switch is dirty or faulty, your solder joints aren't clean and solid, or your wires aren't too long and cross each other a lot.  But those are problems with or without switches if it's done incorrectly.

Clipped

Quote from: critch
Quote from: RDVI still say that death metalers do NOT use pedals.

RDV
your probably right...but i can still try!
I like nu-metal guitar playing too....

Cut my post - it was too late and RDV, etc already said it better...

Ron
To Each His Tone.

critch

ok, so i will check the switches before hand...
and which was should i wire it? to switch between two capacitors?
+ - switch - cap - board
or
+ - cap - switch - board
if u understand what im on about, and just a DPDT switch?]
thanks

Gringo

For a nu-metal tone i'd suggest Joe Davisson's Vulcan.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/vulcan.html

There's a pcb layout at my "site" (download page), though it's from the first version (the one i built).
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

vanhansen

Quote from: RDVOne thing I've noticed about that particular sound is there almost seems to be two different types of distortion at the same time. There seems to be an overdrive kind of sound to the lows and low-mids, and a fizzy fuzzy sort of thing going on in the highs. All this at the same time a sort of super-tight compression going on at the same time.

With this in mind is how I approached putting together the HMP, having a feedback-loop clipper(for the OD aspect) driving a diode-to-ground clipper(for the fizzy distortion part), and then a tunable parametric bass/mid control, followed by a treble roll-off.

Did I succeed? Well, yes and no. Through a SS amp, I think it works to near perfection. Through a tube amp, it seems to compress the front-end too much. Don't get me wrong, it still rocks(I use it every night I play for the heavier stuff we play), but I wanted perfection. I can't have it. Oh well!

Check the samples for Digitech's Death Metal pedal, they sound pretty cool! http://www.digitech.com/products/DeathMetal.htm

RDV

The Grunge pedal sounds kicks ass too.  Don't let the name fool you.  Sounds nothing like Nirvana.

http://www.digitech.com/products/Grunge.htm#
Erik

critch

ok, thanks, but does anyone know about wiring switches for extra capacitors/resistors?

vanhansen

Quote from: critchok, thanks, but does anyone know about wiring switches for extra capacitors/resistors?

That's easy.  Say you have a DPDT on-on (total of 6 lugs).  The wires from the PCB go to each of the middles (in and out).  One cap or resistor (depending on what your changing) goes across one set of outside lugs, the other value cap (or resistor) goes across the other set of outside lugs.  That's all there is to it.  Look at the diagram on my Phase 90 Mods page (WWW link below).  There's one there for switching in/out the R28 resistor using a DPDT.  Use that as your starting point.
Erik

syzygy

Quote from: critchok, thanks, but does anyone know about wiring switches for extra capacitors/resistors?

Read what Peter S. wrote about wiring up Capacitors here.

critch

exactely what i wanted! thanks man
but what should come first? switch or cap/resistor?
im guessing it doesnt matter, but u never know...

syzygy

Quote from: critchexactely what i wanted! thanks man
but what should come first? switch or cap/resistor?
im guessing it doesnt matter, but u never know...

Glad to help!  It doesn't matter if switch is before or after the cap or resistor.. in other words, if either pole of a resistor or capacitor is not connected to the circuit (i.e. connection to one pole is broken by a switch turned off), then it's as if the component isn't there at all.  You gotta have an unbroken circuit for electricity to flow through, and thus have the signal be affected by a resistor or capacitor.