News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Fuzz Control

Started by soggybag, April 27, 2005, 08:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

Can anyone give an idea how I can set up a Fuzz box with the Fuzz controlled via an LDR? Most the standard Fuzzes use a pot with three legs one going to ground. I'm not sure how to replace this with a and LDR which has only two legs?

radio

Hi

I once saw in a very old Indian(!) schematics book

using a LDR ON the output jack, the circuit was a tremolo

I ll try to find it and scan the circuit book but be aware

it is a bad translation of 1970 :shock:

Til soon Greetings JMErnzer

Edit here it is,from a tremolo circuit,could work

http://webplaza.pt.lu/jmernzer/LDRonOUT.gif
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Pedal love

Quote from: soggybagCan anyone give an idea how I can set up a Fuzz box with the Fuzz controlled via an LDR? Most the standard Fuzzes use a pot with three legs one going to ground. I'm not sure how to replace this with a and LDR which has only two legs?

There are many ways to hook it up. How would it operate?pl

soggybag

Well the grand scheme was to make an effect where the amount of fuzz was controlled by an lfo, like a tremolo but the amount of fuzz or distortion would vary in stead of the volume.

I had been thinking to base it off the Fuzz Face but I couldn't quite get my mind around how I would incorporate the lfo. I figured the easiest would be to use and LDR LED combo. But I could not figure out how to incorporate it into the fuzz face fuzz pot.

soggybag

Thanks for the info Radio, I like the description

"The light intensity of the LED varies in sympathy with modulating signal..."

Very poetic.

This looks like a very simple LFO. The values listed look funny they are listed, what is 47E?

aaronkessman

my fuzz face fuzz control is kind of crappy - it's only good when maxed out, otherwise it just sounds really weak, and it kind of has a little jump at the end from like, "half" fuzz to full on.

If yours is liek this too, you mighjt want to consider the simpler alternative of using an LDR to control the "contour" ciontrol in this fuzz face version: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_b_sc_pp.gif

my contour control is smoother than the fuzz pot by far. Ive even considered removing the fuzz pot altogether and just using the contour and bias to modify the sound.

soggybag

Thanks for pointing this out. This looks like it could be done very easily with a CDS cell. I will have to try and breadboard this one.

radio

Soggybag

47E is the same than 47Ohm.

Sometimes it's specified this way to make sure

there is a difference "to Kilos".

However whereas the methode may work,I m not

sure it's really up to date,but could understress the

vintage character.

Greetings JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!