SIMPLE TRANSFORMER PROBLEM

Started by michael_krell, April 28, 2005, 12:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael_krell

ok i appreciate your help, thanks

R.G.

Yep, that one is toast. It's the most deadly form of fault - a short from primary to secondary.

I personally would either toss it in the dumpster or donate it to a rewinder, and get another ordered.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

puretube

Quote from: puretubeBTW: this is exactly a case,
why the yellow/green "earth" (=safety)-wire from a 3-prong mains cable
must be connected directly and firmly to the amp`s (or effect`s) chassis!!!

BTW: this was not directed neccessarily at you, Michael!

I just wanted to note it,
since I recently found an "anti-hum/groundloop remedy advice"
by *putting a resistor between chassis and the green/yellow earth wire* in an other forum - something I don`t really can approve...

birt

sorry i didn't read the second page :oops:

Quote from: birti think it's problem 3 in RG's list.

i've had the same thing and you won't find it with a DMM unless you have blown so many fuses and you have searched very long connecting and disconnecting wires until it gets that bad that you CAN find it with a DMM. (that's how i found out.)

this is a pain in the ass. i even found out wich winding it was on mine.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

michael_krell

OK, confirmed. It is definetly broken. Do you know of a good replacement besides whats on fliptops.com?   theres a replacement transformer for 150 that is pretty much an exact replacement. but is that what i really want? something that will break again? i dont know, maybe it was badly taken care of or something. If you guys know of a more inexpensive solution please let me know.  other wise ill just order the one from fliptops for 150. I also need to get a new faceplate fromthem and those are rather expensive to running at 50 bucks.

zachary vex

hey R.G., the very first thing you said to do was:

account for all of the wires into/out of your transformer; which hooks to what, by actual ohmmeter readings?

and the very first thing i said to do was:

disconnect that transformer from everthing in the circuit and measure all the resistances between wires and create a drawing showing the most likely relationship between all of them.

look, it's simple... we learned the hard way, years ago.  why ask if you aren't willing to listen?  8^P  

an aside:  i NEVER EVER work on big guitar amps anymore.  ever.  i leave that to professional people with whom i have no strong personal ties.  honestly, they're suicide machines.  repairing a powered guitar amp is as safe as fixing a running garbage disposal.  with your face.