boxing effects for a practice pad...

Started by barret77, April 28, 2005, 03:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barret77

Hello all

I'm with this project of building the ultimate practice pad - a box that I would   plug the headphones, the guitar, the AC and practice peacefully.

Since I'm a lazy bastard, I really wanted it to be a single box - with inside:
power supply (GGG ultra clean) +  professor tweed > condor cab sim > ruby (guess what, runoffgroove hardcore fan here)

From you guys experience, will I face tough problems of noise or oscillation with a design like this? Is it a recommendable project? any opinon?

Ardric

It sounds like a cool project!

You shouldn't have trouble with noise or oscillation if you take steps to prevent it.  I found when I put a Thunderchief into a Ruby-like amp on a common power supply that I had oscillation coupled through the power supply V+ line.  I inserted a 100 ohm resistor in series with the power to the preamp and it cleared right up.  You may want to do the same with the Professor and Condor.  This is assuming they have the usual 100uF or so power filter cap after the resistor.  The Ruby needs more current, so it's best to leave it straight into the supply or it'll drop too much voltage.

I guess how you deal with grounding will be important too.

Have you tried the Tonemender?  Could it substitute for the Condor and give more control?

Will you have any sort of bypass switching?  Maybe sometimes you'll want to use a Pod or mic pre or something in front, and just want to go into the Ruby direct.  An FX loop might be nice too.

JimRayden

I have actually thought of same kind of project also. I'm a real ROG fan myself. Though I never got to build it. I dont' think you'd face any problems as long as you keep the AC lines away from the circuit.

---------
Jimbo