Australians: Purchase of transistors?

Started by robbiemcm, April 28, 2005, 04:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbiemcm

This pretty much goes out to any Australians that happen to be browsing this forum. Where do you all find the transistors for these projects. I actually havn't been able to find any of the transistors that any circuit is originally designed for. I was able to get some 2N7000 transistors as that was a type that also worked for the Obsidian Overdrive. The only two places I know in Perth that sell anything like this are altronics and dick smith. Altronics has a far better range, but still... it doesn't seem to stock many types of transistors.

Where do you all get yours from?

george

Ken

Robbiemcm,

I'm in Perth also and manage to most trans. that I need from the two you mention.

Dick Smiths quite often have some stuff that Altronics dont, like 250k pots,

LDRs, chicen head knobs to name a few.

Cheers Ken.

Toney

Check here      http://www.rsaustralia.com/  

26 walters drive, Osbourne Park, Perth 6017.

2n7000   .62c  > $1.40   depending on manufacturer.
Some say a little pricey, but they'll have a lot of what you seek.
Hope this helps, Toney.

Toney

Theres probably a Jaycar handy to you and they have em too.
Here's some others...

www.altronics.com.au
www.rockby.com.au
www.jaycar.com.au
www.oatleyelectronics.com
www.farnell.com
www.radioparts.com.au
www.wiltronics.com.au

robbiemcm

I bought a pack of 25 2N7000's at altronics for 33 cents each, they do good deals if you buy them in a bunch. What I really am looking for currently is 2N5089's so I can build the Shocktave: http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/shocktave.gif but now I can't find that. However I might buy some BS250's from RS if I ever go down that way, only if I'm getting something else though. It would be good to find what it was originally designed for, to try and eliminate some of that noise... or see how much of a difference it makes.

colonelmot

Hello

I'm a brisbane DIYer who relies mainly on jaycar and occassionally farnell for parts. For some bizzare reason the single most popular transistor (2n5088/2n5089) in the world seems unobtainable in Australia. So I order them from smallbear or mouser in the U.S.
Its can be very fustrating being a ozzie DIYer the amount of stuff I've had to order from overseas is ridiculous.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: colonelmotIts can be very fustrating being a ozzie DIYer the amount of stuff I've had to order from overseas is ridiculous.

Mate, you don't know how lucky you are! At least (most) US companies will sell to Australia. There are plenty of DIYers on this board who can't buy from the USA, or if they do, there are punitive duties and/or an excellent chance of the parcel disappearing in the post!
As for the 2N5088, I can't think of any cases where a 2N3904 wouldn't work. (not sure of the pins though). OK a 3904 has less gain & (possibly) slightly more noise, but nothing anyone could notice in a stompbox.
Anyone in Europe know the Philips equivalent? I know they actually make 2N5088s, but they are sure to have one of their own BC5XX equivs.

sean k

I'm in NZ and now just paypal from small bear,for specialty items, and it takes a little under two weeks to get to me which is equivalent to what the guys in the states are used to simply because its overnight accross the pacific.The BC 549 and BC 548 test out to have pretty high hfe.The 2N5088's can go to the mid 600's and most of the BC's will get to early 500 with a few going to 580 or so and they've worked fine in everything I've used 'em in.
  I really like jaycar for caps and resistors but you gotta find your local electronics surplus store to find good hardware.I found DPDT,you know the good old stomp switches,for NZ $5.50 today and they've got hundreds stashed out back....surplustronics.com or .co.nz and if you don't have any luck on the website I'll get you fellas a part number.If your interested.If you are and their postage costs are too high I'll gladly do it on behalf for my Australian cousins.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

robbiemcm

Thanks Paul! Will the 2N3904 be similar to a 2N5089 or only a 2N5088? If it's not similar is there an equivilent subsitute for the 2N3904?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The 2N5089 has slightly higher gain (on the average, the ranges overlap) and slightly less noise than the 2N5088.
OK, the 2N3904 has only about half the gain of a 2N5088 but, there is more than a 2 to 1 range of gains in a bunch of 2N5088. Usually it's the resistors that set the actual gain in a transistor circuit, not the transistors themselves.
The only time I sweat about transistor type, is when somethign weird is going on, notably the negistor (where you are depending on reverse voltage breakdown) or filter circuits where you want it to act as a voltage controlled impedance, or noise generators. But if it is just an amp, then usually most anything will do.

robbiemcm

Would 2N3904's work for the Shocktave? ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/shocktave.gif ) Would I have to change some of the values in the resistors, if so... to what?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I havn't built it, but I expect 2N3904s would work OK.
The only transistor doing anything weird is the 3rd one along. Perhaps hae a socket for that one, or at least leave it easy to swap.

smccusker

I've just had a bit of a scare, having realised that I a bunch of transistors I ordered from America might not be the kind I needed in the first place. Luckily Rockby electronics has the kind listed on the schematics, and if worst comes to worst I can order from there.
Thank christ for this thread.
Guitar -> Amp